• March 28, 2024, 08:31:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ownership of files  (Read 2071 times)

t121anf

• Level 2 Member
Ownership of files
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »

had a bit of an issue today, i was uploading some pictures to a website and found a folder was missing.

odd i though, oh well i'll copy it from a backup, bit the nas was telling windows it already exists, same on my mac to.

so i create a new folder and copied across.

anyway this continued to bug me so i though i'll check via the nas' web file manager, logged in as admin i could see the folder, checking permissions it belongs to "nobody" , checked my new folder and it belongs to me.

checked some i created around the time of the offending folder and they are owned by nobody but have additional rights.

settings the same rights i can see the folder and do what i want, but this leaves me worried that i could effectively be locked out of my files.

can the web account "admin" overrule every other user?  i presume admin is the highest and can do what it likes.

my newer stuff is being created as me will this cause any future problems?  only 3 users at the moment, me, the wife and an account for syncing purposes

Linhares

• Level 2 Member
Re: Ownership of files
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:43:09 AM »

The (stable) firmware seems to have big issues about permissions!

For example, copying a file over Samba share gives diferent permissions than copying file over the ShareCenter Or even over nfs share...
Why permissions in ShareCenter are so intrusive ??? It's possible to fix?