• March 28, 2024, 05:48:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Omna remote live view - what's the trick?  (Read 16349 times)

diatom

• Level 1 Member
Omna remote live view - what's the trick?
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:23:38 PM »

Supposedly one can "register to Omna account" in lieu of a separate Apple device as local Homekit host.
Damned if I can get it to work consistently.
Cam at cottage, works on WLAN (via iPhone/OmnaApp).  Worked at least once remotely with iPhone off-WLAN, 10 miles away, cellular only.
Travel home involves dead zones no WLAN / no WiFi / no Cellular.
Omna connectivity cannot be restored - though local WLAN is up.
I can remote into the LAN but - no local apple device to fiddle with it.
Experience is:  return to cottage, try launching Omna App a couple of times, suddenly comes up with cloud symbol over device, works fine.
Return home - fail.  The thing teases me with emailme every time a light flickers - but won't let me see:  "Device inaccessible" error, which suggests I register it to Omna account, which I've done... to no avail.
Too bad - best camera ever - but totally inaccessible so far as I can tell.
Nothing remarkable in network (ASUS router, firewall up, DCHP, high speed internet).
Is there a trick to getting this thing to work?

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Omna remote live view - what's the trick?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »

Make sure you have the latest Omna app version.  What version iOS do you have?

http://support.dlink.com/FAQView.aspx?f=26B%2bCZsnWvKbUigbUSbvcA%3d%3d

diatom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »

Not a version issue:  iOS 11.3 & Omna 1.0.4 build 9.
Just realized that the one time I successfully got a remote connection, there was an iPad on OMNA lan.  Guess the iPad hosted the remote view-ability.
When I exit cottage iPad comes home with me.  Omna goes dark (but happily sends me useless notifications).
Seems the "register Omna to an Omna account" step hasn't taken.  How fix?

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:50:30 AM »

When "installing" the camera with the OMNA app, it should have had you add to your dlink account or create an account. This is different from the Apple ID.

I am assuming you did that? So you log into the Omna app (not Apple Home app) and enter your OMNA account info, it should work.

Are you in the USA?

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »

I am having a tech test this now as I was under the impression that the latest Omna app for iOS with firmware 1.03 will allow remote viewing without a hub. I will find out for sure.

As stated on Apple's site - *To control this D-Link Omna 180 Cam automatically and away from home requires an Apple TV with tvOS 10.1 or later or an iPad with iOS 10.1 or later to act as a Home Hub. You will also need an iPhone or iPad with iOS 10.1 or later.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:38:24 PM by GreenBay42 »

Gattsu

• Technical Engineer
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »

I tested this just now, and I'm able to remote into the camera using OMNA v1.04 (build 9).

Make sure the camera is attached to a OMNA account and connected to the same local wifi network. This is usually part of the setup wizard process but it can also be done manually through the "Settings" page. Look for "Register to an OMNA account" and tap it to start the binding process.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:14:57 PM by Gattsu »

diatom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »

Greenbay42:  I did indeed add the cam to "omna account".
Not confused between Apple ID vs. Omna account.
Possible snafu in that my "omna account" id/pw = that of my MyDlinkLite account (have multiple other dlink devices).
Yes - I log into Dlink Omna applet on iPhone (which also carries Apple Home app, possible conflict/override?) in all instances.
Location is Canada, not USA.

Gattsu: you're "able to remote into Omna" yet you specify "Make sure cam is attached to ... same local WLAN".  Well - that's "local", not "remote".  Presumably you mean  ".... when you're adding your camera to your Omna account"?  Of course - if my iphone is on the same WLAN as Omna, no problem.  Indeed the cloud symbol magically pops up over Omna cam in Omna app, teasing me with remote connectivity.  Then - when I'm indeed remote (on a LAN other than Omna's WLAN) it fails & no cloud symbol appears in app (unless an iPad is left as HomeKit host). 

/diatom

Gattsu

• Technical Engineer
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »

Sorry to confuse you there.. connect local to the camera to add it to OMNA account. Once binded, you can switch to Data on your phone and test it out.

Edit:

Okay, cancel that it seems the other network I was connected to was on the same WLAN as the camera. My mistake let me test this one more time.

Update:

Okay, I'm able to remote into the camera via 4G connection on my iOS phone without third device or hub, but iOS version is 11.2.6.

There might be an issue with iOS v.11.3, as I'm having issue adding the camera.

Update:

Got it to work on iOS 11.3 and here are my steps.

1. Factory reset DSH-C310
2. Remove OMNA and Restart iOS phone
3. Connect iOS phone to local network SSID
4.  Install OMNA app 1.0.4 and Log in
5. Complete camera setup wizard via OMNA by scanning, successfully added to account.
6. Disable "Use this iPad as a Home hub"
7. Disconnect from wireless network
8. Turn on Data/4G connection
9. Re-open ONMA
10. Check Camera view (working)

It should work for you as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:09:38 AM by Gattsu »

johnnydiesel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 05:39:46 AM »

I have the problem that I come to my holiday apartment and when I'm on the same WiFi the camera shows up in the Omna app. Then I go back home (different country) and it still works for a week or two on both iPhone and iPad. Then it stops. It says the camera is offline in the Oman app. Weirdly enough, the app is still sending movement notifications from the camera. F ex, yesterday we had a cleaner in the apartment and I got dozens of notifications.

diatom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »

Issue persistent 8 months later:
- Omna never connected remotely "via Omna account" without hub.
- Omna works fine locally via either HomeKit applet or Omna app.
- Omna works remotely temporarily (hours to days) with either Apple TV or iPad left on site, then "loses" remote accessibility for no discernible reason.
- Remote-rebooting router recovered remote access on one occasion, but otherwise fails.
- Rebooting Omna & Apple TV always recovers remote access (temporarily).
- Remote accessibility status is consistent irrespective of viewing device (iPhone, iPad)

Suspects:
- some reason Asus AC-68U router might inconsistently refuse connections?
- Omna runs HOT, rough estimate 50C (hotter than hot-tub, causes no injury on contact).  WiFi chip flaking out?
- clearly NOT a WiFi signal-strength issue
- Apple TV is a total mystery to me, plug it in and it allegedly does something.  No TV, no way to check anything further than IP Address & power on.  Homekit reports it as "paused", but poking "play" accomplishes nothing.
- Early build?  Omna app reports "Version 1.0.7 (build 5), unclear whether that IDs hardware or app version.
- Firmware up-to-date 14.40275
- iOS 12.3.1 on iPad/iPhone

Too bad - Omna produces a fantastic wide-angle image, but cannot rely upon it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:42:37 PM by diatom »

agalloway

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 03:55:37 PM »

Not a version issue:  iOS 11.3 & Omna 1.0.4 build 9.
Just realized that the one time I successfully got a remote connection, there was an iPad on OMNA lan.  Guess the iPad hosted the remote view-ability.
When I exit cottage iPad comes home with me
lvp flooring atlanta. Omna goes dark (but happily sends me useless notifications).
Seems the "register Omna to an Omna account" step hasn't taken.  How fix?
[/color]
you are right

agalloway

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 04:50:14 AM »

I have a problem when I come to my holiday apartment and when I'm on the same WiFi the camera shows up in the Omna app. Then I go back home (different country) and it still works for a week or two on both iPhone and iPad CRM Consultant Manchester. Then it stops. It says the camera is offline in the Oman app. Weirdly enough, the app is still sending movement notifications from the camera. F ex, yesterday we had a cleaner in the apartment and I got dozens of notifications.

agalloway

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 05:41:58 AM »

also, check this out epoxy flooring Corpus Christi