• March 29, 2024, 03:48:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Compatibility Settings  (Read 15050 times)

jpm67

• Level 1 Member
Re: Compatibility Settings
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 03:29:04 PM »

By experimenting with the orientation of the three DIR-655 antennas I found the optimal position of the antennas to be with the middle one straight up and the outside ones diagonally opposite to one another at about 45 degrees. This seems to be especially true for the more distant clients.

This is an example.

You can optimize the signal strength of the various wireless clients by going to "Status --> Wireless" and position the antennas so that you maximize the wireless signal. This is displayed as "signal %."

My signal increased from 60 to 72 just by making this change.

KevTech

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »

I think D-Link beat you to it.

Amazing what you can find in the FAQ's.

Go HERE

On the right side click Read next to the question:
What is the best way to position the antennas on my DIR series router for optimal performance?

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »

Yeah, the FAQ is kinda good. At least I know how to position my DIR-655 antennas when I put the router vertically from it.

KevTech

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »

Assuming you're looking at RSSI from a client, your figures represent a 12dBm signal LOSS  not gain.  A few of you need to take RF101 (ASAP  ;))  Goto this wiki and carefully review the unit conversions tables http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

So you are saying that D-Link does not know the best antenna orientation for their own routers?

From the FAQ's I linked to in my previous post:

Question: What is the best way to position the antennas on my DIR series router for optimal performance?
Answer: The following image illustrates the configuration of each DIR series router antenna on both recommended positions:

These positions will allow for optimal transmission to and reception from, your wireless clients.

rekd0514

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 02:11:01 AM »

You just gotta play around with it with someone on a cell phone in the other room. :)

It doesn't show how they should be if it is hanging on the wall.

jpm67

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »

I think D-Link beat you to it.

Amazing what you can find in the FAQ's.

Go HERE

Thanks for the reference to the FAQ. I couldn't find that diagram you posted. I figured if I made a mistake with antenna orientation, others probably had too. I was surpised at the difference it made. This router is pretty good once you find the right settings to make.
Pages: 1 [2]