• April 27, 2024, 09:34:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-345 resetting network connections every 12 hours.  (Read 4848 times)

slam_to

• Level 1 Member
DNS-345 resetting network connections every 12 hours.
« on: July 01, 2013, 09:15:10 PM »

I'm noticing my DNS-345 resets every file handle it has open on it every 12 hours after my last reboot.  

Now, if you have the DNS-345 mapped to a drive, or directly link to it, you won't notice a problem because you may not have a file actively opened.

Let's say I rebooted my NAS at 9:00 am.  Then every 9:00 am and 9:00 pm, any files I have open from my NAS get the network shares killed.

So if I started watching a movie off my NAS at 8:30pm, then at 9:00pm the video will stop playing and I will get an error that the network share is no longer available.

This also poses a problem with file I need to keep open over this "reset" period such as a large encrypted file, or any sort of file I'm editing (photos, word documents, videos, etc).

Even copying files to the NAS has a problem if I just happen to be copying a file and it crosses this 12-hour reset event.

Right now I reset my NAS at 6:00pm, so that the likelyhood of me having a file open at 6:00pm and 6:00am at home is unlikely.  I do have to remember not to keep a file open over this time period.

I've even tried setting up a security cam to write a image every 30 seconds to the NAS, then every 12 hours, one image does not get written.  Then I check my log files (from the security cam), and it says network share not available.

I've turned off all power saving options, nothing unusual shows up in the log files during this mysterious 12 hour mark.

Actively reading or writing a file does not change the reset time.

The network share reset happens on the DNS_345.  Every single network device I have hooked up to the DNS-345 has a problem.  PC's (running WinXP, Win7, Win7-x64, Ubuntu, CentOS),  Mac G4, iPads, iPhones, network security cams, my TV, my Denon receiver, etc.

I've been trying for months going through D-Link's tech support to figure out this problem, but they have literally stopped answering my e-mails.  The last response I got seemed to be a canned response to call them.  This was after they asked me to send them a VISO drawing of my network topology and it took me a while to get to drawing it up.  So it may have crossed a time-out threshold for closing the ticket.

Anyways, from a design standpoint, it sounds like they're periodically resetting some task on board in the NAS to cover up a bug thinking no one would notice.

Has anyone seen funny things like this?  This mystery reset time would be easy to determine if you don't remember when you reset your NAS.  Play an audio file on your NAS in a loop, and leave it open for more than 12  hours.  I bet you would get a "network share lost" error or something similar, then that's the mystery 12-hour reset time.

??!?!??!

--
SLam

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:23:03 PM by slam_to »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS-345 resetting network connections every 12 hours.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »

Indeed something strange.  Are you certain it is the DNS-345 that is doing this and not some other piece of equipment on your network?

Our DNS-345 is on 24/7 and we don't see anything like you are seeing.  It has been shut down once since we got it to test restart times and since that was in our working day we would see if it did what you see.

There are a couple of things you could try, the first entails disconnecting your DNS-345 from the network- without powering it off, connecting it to a single computer and observing the results. 
If it still does it then you could try doing a factory reset - remember this will delete all your user settings so note them down first. 
If it doesn't show the same behaviour then you will have to look at how it is interacting with the network - the reason D-Link wanted the network diagram - and work out exactly what is causing it, could entail disconnecting everything from the network and and adding them back one at a time which will be time consuming.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

slam_to

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

hi,

Thanks for the reply.

o.k.  I did try isolating the NAS to a laptop & switch.  Still had the same problem.

Just out of desperation I did a soft-reset the NAS and the problems went away!

I did a bit more digging and it seems that after a power-cycle of the NAS, it (or at least mine) will get into this weird 12 hour problem.  This only happens occasionally.  A soft reboot (or two) clears the problem.

This was a tricky one to figure out.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »

When you isolated the DNS-345 and laptop on a switch, was the router tethered as well or were the two devices truly isolated?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

slam_to

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »

It was just a router (no wifi), the NAS and the laptop.  Nothing else pluged into any other port.

Again, really odd, but has a weird solution that seems to be working for the past 2+ days.