• March 28, 2024, 01:37:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Couple Questions  (Read 2889 times)

beachfarmer

• Level 1 Member
Couple Questions
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:26:20 AM »

I have the DCS-2330L.  Questions

1.  How can I check which firmware version I'm using?

2.  I use the camera wirelessly.  When installing, I connected the network cable and the green light never stopped blinking and I was unable to connect using the setup wizard.  The only way I was able to connect was with wifi protected setup with my Linksys WRT1900AC router.  This is a dual band router and through this approach will only connect to the 2.4 GHz band.  I prefer to connect to the 5.0 GHz band.  Is this possible?

3.  Using mydlink from a pc is very slow and only connects to the camera about 50% of the time.  So, I've resorted to controlling the camera from the http:// address provided.  I've tried using this address from a remote pc but it will not connect.  How can I connect to the cam from a remote pc without using mydlink.

4.  The camera disconnects about 2-3 times per day and reconnects on its own.  Will configuring with a static IP resolve this issue?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Couple Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »

These cams are only 2.4ghz.

Google what is my ip address to find out external ip address.

Sounds like a wireless signal issue for the disconnects.

The firm ware number is in the http link.

RiverWay

• Level 1 Member
Re: Couple Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »

"4.  The camera disconnects about 2-3 times per day and reconnects on its own.  Will configuring with a static IP resolve this issue?"

It seems that configuring wireless cameras involves both art, and trial and error. In my configuration, local wifi traffic (my wireless networks, and other local wireless networks) can have a significant impact on the performance of individual cameras. Though a static IP is preferred to begin with, local wifi can cause trouble as well. It is worth the effort to find an open channel in your vicinity, or at least one with minimal traffic. Remember that the bands overlap, so the useful and meaningful channels are 1, 6 and 11. Though selection of an intermediate channel may help, if all of your neighbors are using channels 1 and 6 (likely), stick to channel 11 (try 9 and 10, just in case). Yes, in my experience heavy channel traffic can cause poor camera performance and disconnects. So first figure out what the best channel is for your local setup before troubleshooting other issues that could be causing the disconnects.

Once you are satisfied with your channel selection, try connecting the camera via wired ethernet and compare wired and wireless performance as part of your troubleshooting path. If the camera is not disconnecting when wired, you know that wireless is the problem. Then move the camera close to your wireless router or access point, where the wifi signal will be strong and less influenced by other wireless devices. If the wireless disconnects go away, you will know that local interference/poor signal is the problem - either the final camera location must be improved, and/or selection of an open or quieter channel may be necessary. For example, an object blocking signals from another camera or unrelated wireless access point, such as a tree between your camera and that undesirable radio source, can make all the difference between a satisfactory camera location and a rejected location. But if that undesirable source is causing interference with your wireless router, the location of your camera may make little difference.

If the camera is close to your wireless router or access point and the disconnects persist, it will be time to investigate computer/network issues, and/or the camera itself.

I am using one camera on wifi, all by itself, because other wireless cameras on the same channel will also degrade performance. If at all possible, use of an ethernet cable is the best and least troublesome method for connecting a camera to your network. Wireless is a nice idea, but in the end wired ethernet may provide the satisfaction you want.