• March 28, 2024, 01:33:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Cannot set up DNS 315  (Read 8125 times)

MeMonkey

• Level 1 Member
Cannot set up DNS 315
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

Hello,

I need some help regarding settig up my NAS DNS - 315.

I follow the set up wizard and when I am on the step "Select a device" I actully don't see any device. I cannot understand simlply what is wrong.

The hard disc that I use is Western digital -2 TB http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G

My router is huawei HG8240 - http://www.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-access/fttx/ont/hg8240/

Do you think that the problem might come from incompatibility of the DNS 315 with the router or the HDD?

Thanks!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Cannot set up DNS 315
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 07:41:59 AM »

What browser are you using?

The following two posts apply to the ShareCenter series as well as network cameras:

Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »

OK, let us get some more information.

1)  Are you using DHCP to get IP addresses on your network?

2)  Do you know what the IP address of your DNS-315 is?  If you don't know and you are using windows download a copy of NETSCAN, open either the 32bit or 64bit  depending on your version of windows, fill in your IP address range and let it scan and finf your NAS.

3)  Have you tried a direct cable connection between your PC and NAS (with necessary settings being setup in windows) and looking for the NAS at its default IP address?

Once you know the IP address you put that address in your browser (in the form http://IP address/) and you should be able to get to the login page.  Once you are logged in check that you can open all the menu sections - if you can't then try a different browser.

nightbreed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »

Hi,

I have the same exact problem. When I start the NAS the white LED starts blinking and the orange one lights up. Again as in the other case, the NAS is not listed in the setup wizard. I'm currently trying to connect to it directly from the PC but with no success. What are my options?

Thanks,
Martin

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:19:45 AM »

To nightbreed and Memonkey,
First try a different browser as suggested by JavaLawyer.  The device should be accessible with or without a HD installed so...the first task is to determine if the router is assigning it an IP, you can try Ivan's suggestions, or just login to your router, somewhere there should be a list of DHCP devices with their assigned IP address.  If available, copy down the IP address for your DNS 315 and enter it into your browser(S), try Firefox or Chrome if no luck in IE.  If you cannot find the device IP, it might have been assigned a fixed/static IP outside the range of your router.   The fix is a hard reset via the reset hole on the DNS 315, use a paperclip or toothpick and hold it in until the NAS starts to flash and then release it, give it a couple of minutes and then resume your search(s) for the device IP.  Most hard drives are compatible with Dlink NAS's but to help insure the HD will be recognized, try first deleting all partitions and volumes then insert it as a bare / brand new drive.  Good luck

nightbreed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »

Thanks for the reply, cable2!

The NAS is assigned an IP by the router, but is not accessible through any browser nor it responds to pings. I connected it directly to the PC, again with no success. The HDD is brand new, so there are no partitions at all. The white LED continues blinking while the orange one stays on all the time. I tried hard reset several times - holding the reset button while starting the device with no result. I guess I'm still missing something...

cable2

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »

Hi again,
My next idea would be to remove the hard drive from the NAS and then see if you can access the device.  My best guess is that as long as the light is blinking, it is trying to load the firmware.  Even with no hd in place, this should normally complete in 2 minutes or less.  If you still cannot login via the assigned IP, I am starting to think hardware problems or corrupt firmware. 
The reset process is normally to insert the paperclip into the device after it is powered on not before...not sure if that makes a difference but...

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 04:59:11 AM »

Your description sounds like a hardware problem.

First power off the NAS and remove the HDD then check its connections (do they appear damaged or have some gung stuck on them) then do the same for the drive socket in the unit.  We have seen this type of problem caused by fluff or other foreign items getting into the unit and blocking the connection between the HDD and unit.

If there is no abnormality that you can see the next quickest thing is to test the HDD using the disk manufacturers test software.  Hard disks have been known to DOA from the supplier and unless you actually collected it yourself there is no telling what abuse it has been subjected to.

If the disk passes all the manufacturers software tests then the DNS-315 is at fault and if under guarantee should be replaced.

Edit:
Cable2 got a reply in just as I was doing mine - both apply.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:00:59 AM by ivan »

nightbreed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »

With or without HDD the situation remains the same. I guess the NAS should be changed...

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »

It certainly sounds like it.  Is it still under guarantee?

nightbreed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »

Yes, it's brand new. Thanks for the help :)