• March 28, 2024, 10:43:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1.03b4 - Multimedia Database Refresh Woes  (Read 7919 times)

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
1.03b4 - Multimedia Database Refresh Woes
« on: December 17, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I have been unable to find a thread.

Since updating my firmware to 1.03, I have not been able to successfully update the multimedia database. Every time I go to Application Management > Multimedia Services it says: "Please refresh the Multi-Service database to use UPnP normally." but when I click 'Yes', It never moves beyond Initializing / 0%. Has anyone else seen this and figured out a fix....PLEASE!!  ???

thepenrice

• Level 1 Member
Re: 1.03b4 - Multimedia Database Refresh Woes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:14 AM »

Im having the same problem. Had the same problem with 1.02 firmware. Very annoying and cant get it to move past 0%.

Any help would be appreciated!

thepenrice

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »

Just installed Twonky media server onto the nas drive so I dont have to use the built in server which is terrible!

Twonky media server works great, much faster! So much better than the built in one!

Its fairly easy to do. Let me know if you want to know how.

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »

Thanks thepenrice. If it's fairly easy to do or if you have an id1ots guide on how to I'll give it a go - don't know anything about it though.

So does it replace the normal media server or bypass it somehow? Is this a bit like jailbreaking a mobile phone? Also, does it stop the ShareCenter directing you to the Application Management page automatically whenever logging in until the database I can't refresh, is refreshed. It's doing this currently? It used to go to to the Home page.

koadrian

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »

maybe can be help http://nas-tweaks.net/384/installation-of-twonky-server-7-on-nas-devices/.
use at your own risk.

it is not harmful because it only install on the Harddrive.

Tip no flashing firmware.

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:15:20 AM »

Thanks for the pointers koadrian but decided to persevere and try and getting it working - Twonky/Play Fun and associated code-based changes all looked a bit complicated for me I'm afraid, I'm not all that technical!!

I tried rolling it back to 1.02 and had the same results. Rolled it forward to 1.03 again and decided to break the library down a bit. I can now get all but one sub folder library built successfully but that one gets stuck at 60%. Is there anything that might throw up issues?? It always gets stuck on the same .avi file and removing that one means it gets stuck on the previous 'next' file (it seems to build the library in reverse alphabetical order). The strange thing is that before I updated the firmware it was all fine with 1.02 and I had rebuilt it a few times so don't think it is a specific file-based issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the issue or should I get on to D-Link Tech Support in the new year? I've only had it 4 months... Cheers in advance for any help offered!

sja

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »

Hi there

I have a new DNS-320L and I am experiencing a similar problem. I have a single 3TB drive loaded and recently upgraded to the 1.03 firmware. I was initially seeing the unit getting stuck on 60% during the refresh, and thought it might have been a specific file so tried removing that file and re-starting. The DNS-320L then got "stuck" on another file.

I have since added more files to the drive (about 450GB in total) and now it gets stuck on 50%. It has a been sittting there for about 3 days now with no movement. It got to the 50% point within about 5 or 10 minutes, so I think there is a problem with the system.

I have also seen other people report similar problems with updating the iTunes database which leads me to suspect it is an issue with the firmware. I would expect to wait a while updating a database with 450GB of data, but not 3 days.

So, sorry, no solution for you, but you are not the only one. Hopefully someone from D-Link will read this and post a comment.

Regards.

sja

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

So for the potential benefit of others, I finally pulled my finger out and contacted D-Link Tech Support and a simple factory reset (System Management > Defaults > Restore) and all is good again.

Probably goes without saying but this does not affect the data on the drives and you should save your configuration first so that you can reload it after the reset (System Management > Configuration Settings > Save).

Hope this helps!

tsphipps

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »

So I was a bit premature in thinking this was resolved earlier but again for the potential benefit of others, I have finally solved the issue after receiving an eventual 'dunno', shrug concluding reply to my support case from D-Link Tech Support. It would appear that one corrupt file and one with illegal characters were to blame all along...

Just keep narrowing the search until one file causes the refresh to stall. Oh, and you'll need to restart the unit after a stalled refresh as (in my case at least) it never recovers after a stall.

Hope this helps someone else.