• May 19, 2024, 03:37:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Issues with internet connectivity while using bit torrent  (Read 8767 times)

A.MacKay

• Level 1 Member
Issues with internet connectivity while using bit torrent
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:32:41 PM »

I know bit torrent is a tricky issue and there is always problems associated with it. I've normally been able to work around them and get things functioning just fine, but so far I've had no luck with getting this working like it should.

I have the DWA-130 series C, and I connect to a D-Link DIR-628. I have the router set up to run both wireless N and G as I have several devices that only run on G. The channel width is also set to 20/40 Auto.

I don't user port forwarding as there are two devices that use bit torrent regularly and I don't think that is part of the issue anyway.

The problem is that if I run bit torrent on the computer that is using the DWA-130 I will suddenly lose connection to the internet. Windows shows that it is still connected to the router, but can't see the internet.
Still I am not able to log into the router.

Other wireless devices function just fine during this time, and the other computer has no issues at all when it comes to running Bit Torrent.

I'm not sure whats wrong, if it's the adapter or the router. Any advice is appreciated.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Issues with internet connectivity while using bit torrent
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:59:04 AM »

Your problem is not caused by the DWA-130 adapter.  It is either with the DIR-628 router or your Internet Service Provider (ISP.)

You should also not that a lot of ISPs now are lowering the Internet speeds for all Bittorrent traffic, if not blocking.  They blame torrents for slowing down their network and they state that it is in their right to "throttle" the access speed.

A.MacKay

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »

I don't believe either of those are the case.

As I stated in my original post other computers on the network can use the internet and Bit Torrent just fine on the network, and also connect through wireless (though they use Wireless G) and if the internet is cut out for me, the other systems can still connect to the internet just fine. It's only this system that is effected.

If it is the router I'm not sure of what the solution could be. I've gone through several site trying to find a solution but have not found anything.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »

Then, the DWA-130 "drivers" would be at fault.

I too experienced a "crappy" DWA-130 (A1) adapter.  Newer drivers stopped showing up.  Replaced it with Linksys adapter(s) and it seems to be ok.

However, Linksys also stopped releasing drivers.  Turned out my Linksys adapter is able to use the Ralink rt2870 drivers.  These work well.  It also seems that the DWA-160 (B2) adapter can also use these Ralink drivers.

A.MacKay

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »

I really don't have the ability to get a new adapter right now, so I'd much rather fix this one.

After checking some it seems to not just have issues with bit torrent, but some video streaming sites cause the issue to occur as well.

Also not all bit torrent downloads cause this to happen. I just downloaded one file wonderfully fast, followed by another one that can't download anything for more than a couple minutes without my connection to the internet disappearing. Both had around the same number of seeds/peers.

A.MacKay

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »

This has actually started happening even when not running anything besides Firefox. I'm not sure what to do anymore. It seems to get worse as the temperature here increases. We're going through one of the worst heatwaves ever recorded right now. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Could it just be defective? Should I try to return it?

jparsons

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:43:27 AM »

I have been experiencing the same issues.

I recently upgraded the wireless adapter to 101n from 101g (WUA-1340).
I'm using a DIR-615 as my router. (mixed n and g)

Before you ask, I have: -updated the drivers.
-toggled all security options on the 615
-tried different locations
-put a cooling fan beside it
-made sure the winsock was clear (cleaned for malware, and spyware)
-tried setting the ip address for automatic assignment, and static assignment

but when I use my -N adapter, it constantly seems to "loose" the connection with the router. (even though the wireless signal is strong, and packets "seem" to be going back and forth. This is then displayed through no internet, and no access to the network. (I have a NAS DNS-321...Ya I was loyal to Dlink.... but this may sour me on future purchases...*sigh*)

I repair the connection and it works fine.....for a few minutes, and then looses the connection

Strangely, my -G (WUA-1340) doesn't have the same problems. (but with half the speed...*sigh*)

The store I bought it from won't take it back as it works when they test it. (quote:"bars are strong, so it must be a setting")

Argh
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:54:59 AM by jparsons »