• April 23, 2024, 10:27:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WD 2TB Green - DNS-323 1.08 - Format Failure  (Read 14720 times)

sflowers

• Level 1 Member
WD 2TB Green - DNS-323 1.08 - Format Failure
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »

Hello all,  I was hoping someone might be able to assist me.

I'm in the process of upgrading an existing drive in my DNS-323,   drives are not in RAID.

However there's a problem, Format Failure at 4%
"Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure. (Error Code:112)"

New Drive: WD20EADS   Western Digital Green 2TB 32mb
DNS-323
Firmware: 1.08

I've mounted the drive to a desktop and was able to complete a full format and a disk surface without incident.   I've had the drive replaced, full format and surface scan.  Same exact result.   Drive is on the approved list.

Anyone know how I can resolve this?

Much appreciated for any assistance you can provide.

jrak

• Level 2 Member
Re: WD 2TB Green - DNS-323 1.08 - Format Failure
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »

When you tried to format the disk, was the other bay in the DNS-323 occupied by a hard drive?  I had the same problem and error code with a pair (one new and one old)  of Western Digital disks.

Here's what fixed the problem for me:  I removed my older hard drive, installed the new disk in that bay and proceeded to format the disk without a problem.  I then removed the newly formatted hard drive, placed it in the other bay and put the old disk back in its original bay.  After rebooting everything worked fine.     

dnsowner

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »

Hello all,  I was hoping someone might be able to assist me.

I'm in the process of upgrading an existing drive in my DNS-323,   drives are not in RAID.

However there's a problem, Format Failure at 4%
"Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure. (Error Code:112)"

New Drive: WD20EADS   Western Digital Green 2TB 32mb
DNS-323
Firmware: 1.08

I've mounted the drive to a desktop and was able to complete a full format and a disk surface without incident.   I've had the drive replaced, full format and surface scan.  Same exact result.   Drive is on the approved list.

Anyone know how I can resolve this?

Much appreciated for any assistance you can provide.

Hello,
please share with us if jrak's suggestion solved the problem for you. It would be pretty insteressting for everyone i think.

redant2u

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »

yes would be nice to know it it works - ???

sflowers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »

Easy people,  I've only just arrived back from work to try this fix....

Yes,  good news is that the situation appears to be resolved.  With the second drive removed (aka the 2TB alone) the formatting has passed the previously failure point.   
I'll post again to confirm when it complete.

Cheers, much appreciated for the fix.

sflowers

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »

Format is complete, and I have readded the second drive without problems

Looks like a good fix  :)    Thanks!

jrak

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »

You're welcome!

It's been noted by several others that there is a risk of losing all your data on an installed disk when adding a second disk to the DNS-323.  As a consequence, it has been strongly recommended that any drive containing data be removed before formatting a new drive.  I backed-up all the data on my installed drive and then tried to install a new disk when I encountered the formatting failure.  At that point, I though it best to follow the advice I had seen on the board previously.

The DNS-323 can be rather quirky.  I've had no problem over the past year storing data or streaming music to an Internet radio.  But I've never been able to fully implement FTP over SSL/TLS and am reluctant to use it for transferring files over the Internet.

fastcharlie

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:16:38 AM »

When you tried to format the disk, was the other bay in the DNS-323 occupied by a hard drive?  I had the same problem and error code with a pair (one new and one old)  of Western Digital disks.

Here's what fixed the problem for me:  I removed my older hard drive, installed the new disk in that bay and proceeded to format the disk without a problem.  I then removed the newly formatted hard drive, placed it in the other bay and put the old disk back in its original bay.  After rebooting everything worked fine.     

This also worked for me, I was getting crazy over this, thanks a lot for the tip!

Scott41677

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »

Be aware also that your firmware is out of date. I have the exact same drive you mentioned and I had no issues. I first updated the fw to 1.09 which is the latest version on the Linksys site.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:19 AM »

I first updated the fw to 1.09 which is the latest version on the Linksys site.
You mean D-Link of course :)
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

ewanwhatarmy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

Same fix worked for me when my DNS-323 had a 112 formatting error on my new WD Black 2TB

keralihr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

I have tried the fix in my DNS-323 with FW1.09. The new disk  (Hitachi 2TB) formats OK. However, when I re-install the old drive (also Hitachi 2TB) on the left and the newly formatted drive on the right, both show up as "Standard". If I try to reconfigure to RAID-1, I get a warning that both drives will be reformatted.  How can I set up RAID-1 without losing data in my old disk??? H E L P !!

dividedhighw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »

According to the most recent downloadable DNS-323 manual (v1.30), p.87-89, you can install one drive, then "add" another drive.  If I read "between the lines", it seems to suggest that you can have the first drive in "Standard" mode, then transition to RAID 1 mode while adding a new drive by checking ON the "Reconfigure to RAID 1" option box.  The manual shows a screen capture that reads "Your new, second hard drive will now be formatted.  The existing hard drive will not lose any data."  That seems pretty clear.

This, of course, goes completely against the proposed solution in this thread ... that is, the idea of removing the existing drive to format the second drive, then replacing the first.  According to @keralihr, this remove-format-replace method doesn't allow you to "upgrade" to RAID 1 mode, preserving your original data.

So, my questions are:
1. Is the manual wrong?
2. Has anyone done this successfully without losing data?
3. (I realize the OP was begging trouble using v1.08, so) Has anyone done this with v1.09 or v1.10b7 ... how does it behave?

I ask because I'm still trying to deploy two Seagate ST2000DL003 drives in my DNS-323 in RAID 1 mode and am wondering if there's a way to add one drive at a time.  I realize these drives are AFT and I intend to use v1.10b7 to format them.

Thanks all,
DH
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:36:22 PM by dividedhighw »

jhtopping

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »

I have tried the fix in my DNS-323 with FW1.09. The new disk  (Hitachi 2TB) formats OK. However, when I re-install the old drive (also Hitachi 2TB) on the left and the newly formatted drive on the right, both show up as "Standard". If I try to reconfigure to RAID-1, I get a warning that both drives will be reformatted.  How can I set up RAID-1 without losing data in my old disk??? H E L P !!

You may have inserted your disks in the wrong drive bays.  The right bay, looking from the front, is the primary bay, and therefore I would assume you want to have the OLD drive in the RIGHT and the NEW drive in the LEFT.  When the system restarts it will see the primary drive (Right) as a broken RAID-1 and want to duplicate the data on to the new drive (Left).

I am not a RAID-1 user, but you should be able to try this and see if the system see  the disk environment differently.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »

A while back, I had originally installed a single drive, then a couple months later added a second and set it up as Raid 1 without removing the original. It was scary as it said something about formatting, but all went well. Since then I've reconfigured, but it did work as per the manual at one point. I of course had a backup before attempting it.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.