• April 19, 2024, 09:15:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: cables HELP!  (Read 5798 times)

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
cables HELP!
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:30:43 AM »

hey guys the problem is this. I installed the CD that came with the router and it asked me to connect the ethernet cable which came with it to the internet port which i did successfully BUT then the CD asked me to connect another ethernet cable to a modem and there two problems with that:
1. the router package only came with one ethernet cable so where do i get the other cable from?
2. the modem doesnt appear to have a port which a ethernet cable will fit in to where is the port positioned on a modem? plz help any suggestions welcome

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
Re: cables HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »

HIYA, I always do a manual config so I never seen the software prompts. But the device does ship with only one ethernet cable. This cable is used to connect between the internet (wan) port and your DSL/Cable modem. You can also temporarily use the ethernet cable to connect to one of the LAN Ports to do manual configs and firmware upgrades (not good to firmware upgrade when connected wireless). So if you only have one ethernet cable you will be using it in either location depending on if you are just configuring it or when you are done and ready to access the net wirelessly

Configuration/firmware flash:
[PC NIC] --> ethernet cable --> router LAN port

Net access, wireless
[PC Wireless] ~~))  router WAN port --> ethernet cable --> DSL/CABLE modem

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:21:11 AM »

If your modem, I'm assuming you mean DSL or cable, doesn't have an Ethernet jack and only has a USB jack it's not compatible with your router. If you modem does have an Ethernet jack but didn't come with a networking cable you will have to go out and buy another one if you want to connect your PC to one of the LAN jacks on the router.
The hookup would be:
 Modem <=cable=> WAN(Router)LAN,<=cable=>NIC(PC)
or
Modem <=cable=> WAN(Router) and setup the wireless.

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »

so what i have to get a new router? or a new modem? a simple solution please

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »

what kind of modem do you have, as stated above if its not an ethernet modem when you will be unable to connect it to the wireless router. If your modem does have an ethernet jack then you have all that you need for a wireless connection.
Your computer will connect wirelessly to the 615, the 615 will be connected to your ethernet DSL/Cable modem using the supplied ethernet cable.

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »

What is the make and model no of your modem? How was your PC connected to it before you tried to setup your router? If your modem is internal to your PC and you use a dial-up connection to get your internet you won't be able to put the router between you and the internet. The router is intended for an Ethernet connection not dial-up.

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »

it is a speedtouch 330 modem if that helps

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »

I did a quick Google and it looks like it only has a USB 1.1 port for the internet connection. If that is true you will have to replace it with one that has an RJ-45 Ethernet jack. I don't think you will find a router that supports a USB connection for it's WAN interface. Some routers have a USB jack on them but it's for connecting USB printers and storage devices etc.

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »

wher can i get one of them from at a low price also i have windows vista

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

I have no experience with what is good or no good as far as modems go. I'm on cable and my modem is supplied by my ISP free of charge. Nobody even sells them locally here. 

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »

so what should i do?

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:23:10 PM »

If your modem is supplied by your ISP call them and tell them you need one that will work with a router. If you own it you will have to buy a new one that will work with your router. You could look around locally or shop on line. If you have friends or relatives using DSL ask them what they are using and if its any good. Once you find one you think you want Google it for reviews and such so you don't end up with a dud.

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »

where can i find any modems at which online shop any suggestions

sam6357

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »

Any electronics store would sell modems.  You should be able to purchase one easily just about anywhere, maybe even Walmart.

santaclaus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 10:25:32 AM »

anyone out there no any good modems which is windows vista combatible and works with the dlink dir 615?