• March 28, 2024, 02:50:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback  (Read 36601 times)

C4MP3R

Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »

I am currently experiencing connection issues after watching a movie.  The situation is that after a movie has completed, or i stop the movie and return to the menu, the media server is no longer seen by the DSM-510.  I have to go into the server menu and refresh the device for it to see the server again.

Steps taken: navigate to server icon, press enter, (message says starting server and i press abort), once in the server menu i press the menu button and select refresh. Sever is once again visible to the device.

For the most part (90+ percent) the movies will play in their entirety without issues (well that is up until my last two movies where it stopped mid-way and had to be reselected).  There are no network issues or lag during the movie so i wouldn't expect that to be the issue.

Is there a time-out feature or an idle time that will cause the hardware to just report no server?

Firmware: 1.07
Media Server Software: Nero 7 Home Essentials (shipped with unit)
Sever: XP Media Center - 1Gb nic
DSM-510 Network Connection: Wireless 11g

mpodkowa

• Level 1 Member
Re: Media Server Connection Issues After Movie Playback
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »

I am experiencing the very same issue.  I do not recall it happening prior to firmware release 1.07.  Thanks for adding the steps to refresh the server still an issue but much quicker following the steps.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:15 AM »

It should not idle out and this is not normal behavior for the DSM-510. Do you see any similarities in the video files being played that have this issue?

Also try Windows Media Player 11 as you server and see if you have the same issue. Click the link below for setup instructions.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=2692&question=DSM-120%20/%20DSM-320%20/%20DSM-320RD%20/%20DSM-510%20/%20DSM-520
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:50:55 AM by ECF »
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mpodkowa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:29:16 PM »

I actually have two DSM-510 units and had switched them out both of them seem to have the same problem running Wirelessly.  The Videos play fine. Once the video is done being played the server's file list is grayed out.

I am already running Windows Media Player 11 as my media server.

I should open a ticket with Tech Support. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:30:51 PM by mpodkowa »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »

Please verify if this happens wired as well as wirelessly.

mpodkowa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 04:45:56 PM »

This only happens in Wireless mode when running wired both units function fine. I have tried both of my DSM-510 units in wired and wireless mode.  Both units work exactly the same in each mode.

This may be tied to the 1.07 firmware release as the Wireless unit worked fine.  Can't recall exactly when the issue first appeared before or after an upgrade to firmware 1.07.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »

Make sure all you antennas are positioned correctly (straight up if it is a single external antenna device) and check your wireless environment is the DSM-520 within line of sight with the router, and remove power to an 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. if you must go through wall make sure you do not go through any mirrors, fish tanks, or Appliances this will all stop or reflect the wireless signal. If you DSM-520 is on another floor make sure the router is on the bottom floor broadcasting.

mpodkowa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 06:24:44 AM »

I am having no other trouble with my Wireless network.  I have a Wii connected Wirelessly the same distance from my router and it operates flawlessly without any dropouts as well as a laptop from the same room.  This issue appears only to be related to the DSM-510 unit.

Antennas are positioned correctly, I only have 5.8 Ghz phones, router operates at 2.4 Ghz, microwave and other appliances are off and not within line of sight of router to DSM-510.

Firmware: 1.07
Media Server Software: Windows Media Player 11
DSM-510 Network Connection: Wireless 11g

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

Does this only seem to happen playing Videos? Does it only happen with files of a specific type or over a specific size?

mpodkowa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 04:57:18 AM »

Happens with any size video I watch.  If after I refresh the List and do not even watch a movie it will happen.  It seems like it is just a matter of an unspecified period of time of inactivity.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »

Hmm I am unable to replicate this issue using a wireless connection. Try assigning static IP address to the DSM 510 and PC this may help.

C4MP3R

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:26:25 AM »

I have been using static ip addresses for my Media Server and also for the MediaLounge ever sense i set everything up.  The IPs aren't manually set on the server but are set through my router (IP associated with the mac).

i too have a wii, an xbox, and a few laptops that don't have any issues with the wireless (wii and xbox also set with ip/mac relationship in router).  I don't have any wireless phones (we use cells only). I also tested media lounge with everything shutdown except for the media lounge (server is hardwired).

when reading some of the firmware release notes i noticed that in 1.06 there is a viiv network time-out of 60 minutes added for configuration.

"¤ Changed Intel Viiv wireless configuration time-out period to 60 minutes."

it says it is for the configuration but this makes me think that there could be some time-out period set or this variable is crossing over to the main program.

maybe there is a wake up problem coming out of the screen saver or returning from a stream.  a simple refresh seems to cure the issue, maybe a "refresh" could be added after a screen saver call or when a job is cancelled/completed (i.e. streaming, photo load, music playback, etc.)

Maybe this is a Nero 7 quirk?  When you do your tests are you using WMP11 or Nero 7?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »

In my tests I have tried WMP11, Nero media home, and DNS-323 built in UPnP media server. Using any of these media servers I do not get this issue.

Is your computer wireless as well as the DSM-510?

JonBaggott

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »

I too have had this problem ever since I bought the DSM-510 over a year ago. It's been there with:

Every version of firmware I've tried.
Every PC I have available and every media server software I've tried (wired and wireless, XP and Vista, TVersity, Nero and WMP11).
Every media type I stream (video, pictures and music).

It's not that the DSM-510 loses its connection(s) - the currently playing media always completes to the end. However, the servers are no longer detected and all the lists grey out until the list of servers is refreshed. If multiple items are queued up to play playback stops after the current item ends. When I have multiple servers active all go to this state at the same time.

My DSM-510 is connected wirelessly to a DI-624. This problem happens very frequently - I can rarely play a complete album or slideshow without losing the server.

mpodkowa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »

My computer is wired to the router directly.  I have to repeat if have two DSM-510 units either one of them experiences the same issue when connected wirelessly.  They work fine wired.  Every other piece of Wireless gear I own works flawlessly except for the DSM-510 units.

The movies always play to the end and then I find that the menues are greyed out sometimes a message stating failed to retrieve file list
Pages: [1] 2 3