• April 26, 2024, 05:54:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM 510 with a DNS 323 -Best way to encode a file for optimum playback?!  (Read 2345 times)

BuzzSaw

I have a vast library of movies and I wish to start encoding for playback with these devices (DSM 510) on the televisions they are connected to.  I have a 1TB (DNS 323) to store and feed to the DSM 510.  What is the best method of encoding ripped DVDs to ensure maximum playback compatability, performance and quality between the DSM 510 and DNS 323?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have!

BuzzSaw  ???

bspvette86

The only advice I have is keep the files < 4GB.  The DNS-323 UPnP catalog has a 32-bit bug in the file scanning routine.  Files > 4GB will show as the remainder of Filesize/4GB.  This causes the files > 4GB to stop playing well short of the full length.  For OTA HD video content, this is about 20 minutes.  Quite a nusance.  These same files play fine from a UPnP server running on a PC or Mac reading them from the DNS-323.  If you have alot of files > 4GB, you may want to consider using something like Windows Media player or the Nero software that came with the DNS-510.  (if you don't have anything better)  Hopefully D-Link will do something about this soon.  It would be interesting to test for this bug on the new DNS-321 and DNS-343 boxes.  Chances are the firmware is similar.

Cheers,
BSPvette

PS: Use a wired connection if you are playing HD content!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:19:04 PM by bspvette86 »