The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DNS-323

GMAIL Email Notification not compatible with FW1.05?

<< < (4/4)

savva:
Can you do an ipconfig /all on your pc and post the results?

mgrant:
Sure, here's an ipconfig/all:

--- Code: ---C:\Documents and Settings\Mickael>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GRUMBLE
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-15-78-54-3B
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.3
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
--- End code ---

savva:
Alright, can you try to see if NTP or DDNS works?

One thing you can try tho before is to use the following IPs for your DNS 208.67.222.222 and/or 208.67.220.220 on your NAS unit

mgrant:
I was using NTP already and it's updating the time on the NAS correctly.  I just configured dyndns and that updated successfully as well.

I tried using an ip address of a server that does not require ssl that is running sendmail and it gets a little farther in the packet exchange but sendmail does not seem to like the 'EHLO localhost' that the NAS sends, I think sendmail wants to see something that matches the DNS.  So it seems my trouble is a DNS issue.

I have solved the problem now.  The problem turned out to be the DNS provided by my little adsl modem/router.  I configured the router to give a real dns server instead of itself as the dns server and then the mail went through to gmail without problem from the NAS.

What was quite frustrating is that the test button doesn't show what's going on.  I bet there are not many people out there who are going to know how to decode a packet trace to see the error like I'm doing. 

For those interested in how I'm seeing the packet exchange, I have a PC on my network using an old style ethernet hub (not an ethernet switch), then I am using "tcpdump -X -s0 host 10.0.1.1" on unix/linux on a PC connected to that hub to watch the packets between the NAS and the outside world.  Equally on windows/mac/linux one could run http://www.wireshark.org/ instead of tcpdump.

mgrant:
Actually I spoke a little too soon.  Ok, I have the NAS sending mail to gmail fine, but I have a second NAS that I need to send mail to this other address which is not gmail, it's a unix box running sendmail.  The sendmail box is known to work, it gets a ton of mail.  This NAS was sending mail to the sendmail box fine with 1.05 firmware, but now with 1.06, it is broken.

The sendmail box requires an authentication.  It doesn't require TLS but it will use it.  From the packet trace, I see the NAS connect to the sendmail server and say EHLO localhost and the NAS just drops the connetion.  The NAS is set to use a login method of account and a username and password are configure.

--- Code: ---
<<< 220 example.org ESMTP server
>>> EHLO localhost
<<< 250-example.org Hello adsl-1-2-3-4.example.net [1.2.3.4], pleased to meet you
<<< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<<< 250-PIPELINING
<<< 250-8BITMIME
<<< 250-SIZE
<<< 250-ETRN
<<< 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
<<< 250-STARTTLS
<<< 250-DELIVERBY
<<< 250 HELP
>>> (the NAS closes the connection)

--- End code ---

Does the NAS perhaps not like the proposed AUTH methods of PLAIN and LOGIN?  I notice that the gmail server doesn't emit the AUTH line at all and the NAS goes right in and starts TLS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version