• March 28, 2024, 09:35:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Since installing 1.11B01 firmware, intermittent reboots and speed degradation  (Read 2935 times)

AmyC

• Level 1 Member

I have verified that I do not have it set to auto reboot in Admin features. The router seems to have issues now with speeds degrading and intermittent reboots which might be separate issues but are none the less frustrating. I *am* using QoS because if I don't, our TimeWarner/Spectrum cable's bufferbloat is so terrible it makes the internet almost unusable. So I don't know right now if a specific machine/device is causing the slow down. There are 2 smartphones, two laptops (hardwire), and an Xbox (hardwire). We also have two Chromecast devices but one is always off until the evening. There are also two wifi security cameras (one is a D-link) running constantly. At most, both smartphones are running constantly with either an Xbox (which does do streaming - we use to watch TV services) or phones with the Laptops. My son does run a Steam game on his laptop which I know can be taxing but it's not always in use when the problem occurs (and he isn't using the Xbox when he's on Steam). I work from home and use various 3rd party apps to video conference during the day as well. But again, typically we aren't all doing this at the same time. And the reboots often happen at odd times. Today one went on when no one was using devices at 8:30 am. I'd be happier if the problems occurred specifically with heavy use because at least we'd be able to narrow down the culprit.

Is there any other logs we can access on this thing via a telnet or something? The log in the Admin panel leaves a lot to be desired. I'd love to know, for instance, if a firewall activity happened. Like maybe I'm hit with a DoS or something. Or if maybe someone is trying to hack into the router. We've had problems with a major virus in the past and so anything is possible afaic.

Thanks in advance.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

I know it is a pain but you may need to reset the router after the firmware upgrade. I have seen issues with the latest firmware on the DIR-878 and 882 (same exact chipset) after updating. Resetting it usually fixes it. Also disable QoS. I personally think it is not needed in most home networks. Some may disagree with me but I have had every dlink router in my house and QoS has never increased performance for me.

What brand/model is your modem?

I have Spectrum myself and using their supplied modems I have had disconnects almost 5 times an hour. 5 months of techs coming out, adding boosters, etc I decided to buy a modem (Arris SURFboard SB6183) and have never had an issue since (over a year now). I have no issues streaming 4K from Amazon and Netflix wirelessly on 2 different TVs at the same time. 

Try the reset and let us know if you continue to see issues.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:20:35 AM by GreenBay42 »

AmyC

• Level 1 Member

Whelp, I did do a factory reset after the problems started and that didn't fix it. In fact, I've done it a few times since just in case something was wedged or someone hacked something. I'll try again just in case. Is there a preference on using the paperclip method versus the admin panel (software) reset or are the exactly the same? I've just used the software method thus far.

Ugh, I'm so loathe to turn of QoS because when we first installed the DIR-882, I almost returned it because our speeds were so bad until I changed the QoS buffers. We don't have fiber here yet but have what they now advertise as "starting at 60 mbs" which usually we have to throttle because we are getting these speeds that start out at 100 and then bottleneck out. Our area is a mess. Spectrum techs even gave us some physical plug thing to limit the speed on the inside of the home. I tried that and all it did was kill our speed. So anywho, I don't know how else to kill the bufferbloat happening without the QoS.

I have a SB6141 Surfboard modem. I don't necessarily see drops, but the router is actually rebooting itself unless that is why it's rebooting. I can tell because the D-Link admin log gets cleared with every reboot. In the past, we did have a problem with constant drops but it was a Spectrum "on the pole" problem that they fixed. And when that happened, I would just seen constant disconnects/reconnects in the D-Link log.

Thanks again for the help!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:27:59 AM by AmyC »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.

The web UI reset and back button do the same.

• Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

Whoah, if your rebooting the router only or it's rebooting on it's own:
1. It shouldn't be rebooting on it's own.
2. The admin PW should not be cleared upon a reboot if you set up a PW for the admin account.

Lets do this with the 882:
1. Download the latest version from this link> http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=74122.0. Power OFF The SB6141 modem and ALL other wifi and wired devices accept for 1 wired PC connected to the back of the 882.
2. Using IE11 or FF browser, do a factory reset from the web page or use the back button.
3. Load the v1.11 FW file, please unzip the .bin file first.
4. After the FW file loads. Do one more factory reset.
5. Power ON the ISP Modem.
6. Walk thru the 882 setup wizard with IE11 or FF browser navigating to 192.168.0.1. Setup the router for wifi only and set a PW for the admin account and set the Time Zone. Setup IPv6 to Local Connection Only. Leave everything else at default.

Ensure the cable between the ISP modem and 822 are of good quality. CAT6 is recommended.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

AmyC

• Level 1 Member

"It shouldn't be rebooting on it's own."
Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I'm going to try what you suggested because the problems continue. But, it might be a couple days as my work schedule and life schedule are not very permissive :(
Also, I don't know if this info is helpful. I did install Kiwi the other day just to see if I could get any more information from the logs. I don't really BUT it at least keeps a history. And every reboot seems to be accompanied by these three entries. (I masked my hostname and IP).
03-19-2019   02:26:02   Daemon.Notice   [hostname]   Mar 19 02:26:00 [RC]: SNTP SYN success ! Current timer is 2019-03-19 02:26:00
03-19-2019   02:26:02   Daemon.Error   [hostname]   Mar 19 02:25:59 ipsec_setup: ...Openswan IPsec stopped
03-19-2019   02:25:56   Daemon.Notice   [hostname]   Mar 19 02:25:53 [RC]: Wan(eth3) connect Success , Current Wan ip is xx.xx.xxx.xx

AmyC

• Level 1 Member

Oh Also, I have been playing around with channels in the past. I've used a couple different scanners to see who's using what channels in the area because I was thinking we might have an interference problem. We do have a lot of people using WiFi. I have tried a couple different channel ranges without any success (for this particular problem).

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Let us know if the reload of the FW file process helps any.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

AmyC

• Level 1 Member

So I haven't had time to do the factory reset yet. BUT...I took your advice after reading something else about QoS in another forum causing havoc on D-link routers because it's constantly doing some measurement check on the gateway. The solution they presented wasn't applicable since the model was different (and thus the software differed) but I took all the machines/devices out of the priority lists and (fingers crossed) I have not had a reboot since and it's been about 24 hours. I realized that I could still keep the QoS buffers to manage the bufferbloat without those priority lists. I'm still running Kiwi and have literally had no errors. So thank you for your help. I'm going to hold off on the factory reset since I have done that in the past anyway and see how this goes.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting

Ok thanks for letting us know. Possible issue with QoS then. Would need to reset then setup from scratch and enable QoS settings again to see if the problem appeared. Maybe D-Link can have a closer look on this.