• April 26, 2024, 04:16:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What did I do wrong?? Please help!  (Read 11601 times)

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
Re: What did I do wrong?? Please help!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »

Well to answer your question Reinvented, I have Time Warner cable I recently tested the speed and received a 792kB/s download speed and a 112 kB/s upload. Im sure thats about average but I tried out what you had suggested using a priority of 64 for the gaming but to no avail. I went ahead and tried different priorities to guess my way to a proper setting but only received more of the same deep lag. I'll show you the settings for bittorrent, maybe there lies the culprit.

Global Upload Rate Limiting

Maximum upload rate ( kB/s): [0: unlimited] : 112
Alternate upload rate when not downloading (kB/s): (checked) 0

Global Download Rate Limiting

Maximum download rate (kB/s): [0 unlimited]: 792

Number of Connections

Global maximum number of connections: 1890
Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 2329
Number of upoad slots per torrent:14
Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90%: (checked)

I thought that the router would supercede whatever the torrent settings were? Was I wrong in thinking that?

wired203

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »

The router should supercede for your upload settings,  however you are letting bittorrent go to your cap on download.  You should trim that back some or setup a traffic scheduler to download while you sleep etc.

Also you have a LOT of connections going through,  I don't remember what I used to set mine to (I use newsgroups) but it seems fairly high.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

Global connections need to be locked down to 500, and 100 per torrent.

You need to learn how to configure this stuff, as your settings are causing the problems.  Not a problem for the router. 

Maximum download rate could be set at unlimited, and Maximum upload rate should be set at 20KB/sec or so. 

You are literally starving your connection by saturating it.  No wonder why you get disconnects and bad lag.  If you notice you set it for the MAXIMUM amount of bandwidth that is available to you.  That's a big no-no. 

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 06:57:29 PM »

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info and advice you guys are extremely helpful. I'll try it as soon as I can and let you know how well it works . Thanks again

1ofthebody

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »

Well I'm pleased to say that the settings worked like a charm. I actually have the upload speed to 80kB/s and I'm able to play smoothly with my kids online. Only wish that I can have the shareport feature working without having to move up in firmware. I guess its true that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thanks again for all the help you guys rock!
Pages: 1 [2]