• April 25, 2024, 02:37:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Hard drive re-format required when moving from DNS-323 to DNS-343?  (Read 3883 times)

Tomasulo

• Level 1 Member

I tried searching on this topic but didn't find anything related.

I currently have (non-raid) hard disks which I can freely move between my DNS-321 and DNS-323 units without need of any re-formatting/setup.  If I were to move all 4 disks to a DNS-343 (non-raid), would I need to format my disks again (and have to endure a long process of moving the data over manually)?

Thanks for the help in advance!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Hard drive re-format required when moving from DNS-323 to DNS-343?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:02:17 PM »

I tried searching on this topic but didn't find anything related.

I currently have (non-raid) hard disks which I can freely move between my DNS-321 and DNS-323 units without need of any re-formatting/setup.  If I were to move all 4 disks to a DNS-343 (non-raid), would I need to format my disks again (and have to endure a long process of moving the data over manually)?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Speaking from personal experience, when moving hard disks formatted as standard volumes (i.e. non-RAID) to different slots within the same DNS-343, there are recognition issues.  The DNS-343 uniquely identifies the hard drive in each slot although the volumes are non-RAID.  I suspect that the DNS-343 will recognize a DNS-323 volume inserted into slot 1, but there may be issues if you insert the same volume (or other DNS-323 volumes) into slots 2,3 or 4.

This is all conjecture since I've never swapped hard disks between the DNS-343 and DNS-323.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:49:32 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Hard drive re-format required when moving from DNS-323 to DNS-343?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

If you do a search of the DNS-343 forum, there were some threads discussing ways to manually update the hard drive ID assigned by the DNS-343 to make the hard drive readable from any slot.  This may help in your efforts to ensure your DNS-323 volumes are compatible without reformat.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC