• April 24, 2024, 03:50:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems moving files on NAS after opening in OSX  (Read 4640 times)

Jetpac

• Level 1 Member
Problems moving files on NAS after opening in OSX
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »

I have files on my NAS that i have opened with MAC OS X. Now when i try to move these files to another folder on my NAS on OSX the operation fails.

When i boot into windows 7 and try to move the same files the operation fails... saying cannot complete because files are in use by another program. I am dual booting Win 7 and OSX. I have tried restarting The NAS and this doesnt work.. how can i move these files?!

Mckitrick

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problems moving files on NAS after opening in OSX
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »

Did you try rebooting the NAS?  That might close the files that are apparently "in use"

Jetpac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »

Yes ive tried rebooting the Nas and every Computer connected to the Nas.. to the point where there is only one computer connected and it has never touched the files, yet they are still locked!

Mckitrick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:00:41 AM »

Yikes!  What happens if you try the mv command from a terminal session in OSX?  Can you copy and then delete the original?

I'm having problems of my own with this thing and OSX.  I don't think it's a Mac-friendly product.  That's pretty short-sighted considering the way things are going in the PC world.  Oh well.  Can you return it?  That's what I'm doing..

Jetpac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »

Avoiding the spam....

It is saying i require permission from DLINKNAS/nobody to modify the files, so i cant move or delete them using either windows or OSX.. Help?

Mckitrick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

Will it let you chown the files or chmod to 777?

It seems the NAS has put some whacked out permission on those files (probably some system user on the device itself).

I love that there's not a single Dlink response to any of this stuff.  We could run our own forum here about collecting bottles if we wanted to...

Jetpac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »

Will it let you chown the files or chmod to 777?

It seems the NAS has put some whacked out permission on those files (probably some system user on the device itself).

I love that there's not a single Dlink response to any of this stuff.  We could run our own forum here about collecting bottles if we wanted to...

It is not just the odd file, it is EVERY file... i cant transfer anything on OSX over to the nas, i get an error -36

Jack Ryan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »

Avoiding the spam....

It is saying i require permission from DLINKNAS/nobody to modify the files, so i cant move or delete them using either windows or OSX.. Help?

I had this problem when I was using version 1.0 of the firmware. I have since upgraded the firmware so I don't know if the behaviour is the same.

Normally I have a password with each user account but at one point while I was testing something, I changed the password to blank. While the password was blank the NAS saw me as "nobody" and a few files I modified/created were owned by "nobody". Later, when I had restored the password I could not access those files. For a while I could not determine the problem but I remembered that I had accessed the files with no password. I changed the password to blank again and regained control of the files. In my case there were not many files involved so I moved them to the local PC, restored the NAS user password and then moved the files back to the NAS.

Perhaps that helps.

Jack