• April 26, 2024, 02:47:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Poor snapshot quality (only 96x96 dpi)  (Read 16844 times)

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
Poor snapshot quality (only 96x96 dpi)
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:45:34 AM »

I have profile 3 set for the highest quality settings.  While the dimensions of the image are 1280x720 ..the resolution of the image is only 96x96 dpi.  Why is this?  I am using my DCS-5222L to video scenery and create photo libraries.  Is there anything that can be done to increase the resolution to 1280x720 to match the dimensions of the image?

I realize this will increase the file size, but I need the best quality possible.  Also, the ability to use a different profile (other than 3) for the snapshot would be nice.

How can I achieve better snapshot quality?  96x96 is horrible.....no offense intended.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Poor snapshot quality (only 96x96 dpi)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »

I have profile 3 set for the highest quality settings.  While the dimensions of the image are 1280x720 ..the resolution of the image is only 96x96 dpi.  Why is this?  I am using my DCS-5222L to video scenery and create photo libraries.  Is there anything that can be done to increase the resolution to 1280x720 to match the dimensions of the image?

I realize this will increase the file size, but I need the best quality possible.  Also, the ability to use a different profile (other than 3) for the snapshot would be nice.

How can I achieve better snapshot quality?  96x96 is horrible.....no offense intended.

??? " I am using my DCS-5222L to video scenery and create photo libraries. "  ???

What does that mean?

What are you doing?

I look at the jpeg image on my phone through it's browser over the internet, and it is at 1280x720 or whatever.

Are you on the latest firmware or on that broke crap that was originally shipped?

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:34 AM »

??? " I am using my DCS-5222L to video scenery and create photo libraries. "  ???

What does that mean?

What are you doing?

I look at the jpeg image on my phone through it's browser over the internet, and it is at 1280x720 or whatever.

Are you on the latest firmware or on that broke **** that was originally shipped?

On 1.01 .  Snapshots to email.  All settings are on highest quality but the image that comes via email is poor quality.  Like I said, the dimensions are right at 1280x720 but image looks very grainy...when I check the properties it shows 'Dimensions' as 1280x720 but the resolution of the image is only 96x96 dpi which is why it looks grainy.  The resolution should match the dimensions of the image since this is an HD camera.  I was expecting more out of a camera of this price range.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:45:27 AM »

On 1.01 .  Snapshots to email.  All settings are on highest quality but the image that comes via email is poor quality.  Like I said, the dimensions are right at 1280x720 but image looks very grainy...when I check the properties it shows 'Dimensions' as 1280x720 but the resolution of the image is only 96x96 dpi which is why it looks grainy.  The resolution should match the dimensions of the image since this is an HD camera.  I was expecting more out of a camera of this price range.

Mine is the same.

DCS 5222L

Even the 2 megapixel DCS-2230 is 96DPI

These are security cameras, not photography cameras.

You might have better like with a newer type HD computer web camera that works with skype in HD. 

You are going to need to go into the $2,000+ price range probably to get a lot more dpi.

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »

I disagree.  This is supposed to be an HD camera which means at least 720p with a resolution of 1280x720 dpi.  The problem is the quality of the snapshots seems to not follow the profile correctly.  If I buy an HD cam for security its the same thing if I am recording scenery.  The snapshots when set to high quality mode should match the dimensions of the image in dpi.  In other words the 96x96 should be 1280.720 ...and you can't change the profile?

The purpose generally is to see high quality images when one buys a high definition camera.  96x96 is not HD.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »

I disagree.  This is supposed to be an HD camera which means at least 720p with a resolution of 1280x720 dpi.  The problem is the quality of the snapshots seems to not follow the profile correctly.  If I buy an HD cam for security its the same thing if I am recording scenery.  The snapshots when set to high quality mode should match the dimensions of the image in dpi.  In other words the 96x96 should be 1280.720 ...and you can't change the profile?

The purpose generally is to see high quality images when one buys a high definition camera.  96x96 is not HD.

The number is made up anyways.

http://www.dpiphoto.eu/dpi.htm

The dpi-value in the EXIF is meaningless. It is a fictitious number.
(A photo has no dpi, only pixels)

You can find the properties of your digital photos in a photo editing program, but also in the Windows Explorer. Do a rightclick on your file and next: Properties > Summary > Advanced. These properties are called the EXIF-data. Or short EXIF. In that row also a value for dpi is given, f.e. the number 72, 180, 300 etc. This is a number without any meaning, it is an invented number! A box (field) has to be filled in, so every producer simply invents a number. Don't get confused, it is nonsense. A photofile in a camera or (stored at) a computer has no size in centimeters or inches. So no ppi (or dpi). Such a file only has a subdivision, a resolution, in pixels. From the moment you are going to print there is the matter of size, given in inches or centimeters. Only then you can speak of pixels per inch (ppi, regrettably ususally called dpi).   
See fifth paragraph of: www.scantips.com/no72dpib.html#6.

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »

I understand....but that does not solve the problem of a poor quality image from what is supposed to be HD camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Excerpt from link above:

HD in video surveillance
An increasing number of manufacturers of security cameras now offer HD cameras. The need for high resolution, color fidelity, and frame rate is acute for surveillance purposes to ensure that the quality of the video output is of an acceptable standard that can be used both for preventative surveillance as well as for evidence purposes. These needs, however, must be balanced against the additional storage capacity required by HD video.

In my opinion it is a poor quality image.  It clearly has the right frame size but a poor quality output.  I am disappointed.  I will have to figure something else out I guess.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »

I understand....but that does not solve the problem of a poor quality image from what is supposed to be HD camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Excerpt from link above:

HD in video surveillance
An increasing number of manufacturers of security cameras now offer HD cameras. The need for high resolution, color fidelity, and frame rate is acute for surveillance purposes to ensure that the quality of the video output is of an acceptable standard that can be used both for preventative surveillance as well as for evidence purposes. These needs, however, must be balanced against the additional storage capacity required by HD video.

In my opinion it is a poor quality image.  It clearly has the right frame size but a poor quality output.  I am disappointed.  I will have to figure something else out I guess.

Look at how big the CMOS is:
(from dlink.com)

Camera Specifications
1/4” Megapixel Progressive CMOS sensor

The DCS-2230

Megapixel
2 megapixel
Image sensor
1/2.7" 2 megapixel progressive scan CMOS

A 1/4" sensor is pretty damn small.

Just also something to note with the 5222L - it's in focus right? The ring in the front of the lens turns and can make focus pretty bad.

Are you in a well lit area? These small cams need light or infrared to be more clear.

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »

Hmm, I think you might be onto something with the focus.  I am going to experiment, but when I view the live video the quality is crystal clear.  It's only the snapshot function that provides grainy images.

Thank you for sharing all this useful information...I am an IT guy, but I must admit I do not know a ton of stuff about cameras.  The file sizes never see to be more than 100 kb or so.... when it sends the snapshots which is another reason I am pounding on the snapshot function vs. the function of the camera itself.

What I am thinking I may have to do is setup dviewcam software and record the video stream constant.  Then I can take snapshots from the video stream which does appear to be HD quality.

There must be something in the presets for profile 3 (which is what the snapshot function is locked to) that limit the quality of the snapshot image.  Its probably better that I snapshot from the video anyway because it will yield more possible images.

I am going to check that focus though.  Thank you again for your expertise in helping to figure this out.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »

Hmm, I think you might be onto something with the focus.  I am going to experiment, but when I view the live video the quality is crystal clear.  It's only the snapshot function that provides grainy images.

Thank you for sharing all this useful information...I am an IT guy, but I must admit I do not know a ton of stuff about cameras.  The file sizes never see to be more than 100 kb or so.... when it sends the snapshots which is another reason I am pounding on the snapshot function vs. the function of the camera itself.

What I am thinking I may have to do is setup dviewcam software and record the video stream constant.  Then I can take snapshots from the video stream which does appear to be HD quality.

There must be something in the presets for profile 3 (which is what the snapshot function is locked to) that limit the quality of the snapshot image.  Its probably better that I snapshot from the video anyway because it will yield more possible images.

I am going to check that focus though.  Thank you again for your expertise in helping to figure this out.

If your in focus, then changing it won't help snapshot.

The only thing I can guess, is that perhaps Dlink has the compression level set to high for JPEG images.

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »

I think you are right, but the mjpeg output is the same...grainy.  Now, if I switch to one of the other profiles using say H.264 I get crystal clear images.

I plan to to record it to a box...then I can take snaps out of the high quality video using one of the other profiles instead of mjpeg.

I agree with you the codec for MJPEG appears to be the culprit here.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »

I think you are right, but the mjpeg output is the same...grainy.  Now, if I switch to one of the other profiles using say H.264 I get crystal clear images.

I plan to to record it to a box...then I can take snaps out of the high quality video using one of the other profiles instead of mjpeg.

http://ip:port/image/jpeg.cgi

http://ip:port/video/mjpg.cgi?profileid=1
http://ip:port/video/mjpg.cgi?profileid=2
http://ip:port/video/mjpg.cgi?profileid=3

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »

I tested my DCS-2230... (2 MP cam)

I had FTP snaps on profile 3, and it was pathetic. (640x360) (file size 15KB)

I set it to profile 1, and the 1920x1080 FTP snaps are clear and crisp. (file size 140-180KB). definitely not viewing at that specification...

no-blue-screen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 04:47:40 AM »

That's the problem...you can't change the profile on the 5222.  Set to the highest settings its poor quality.  In order to get snaps...I am using video and taking snaps out of the video.  It would be nice to have just an HD snapshot capability.  That is what I am looking for is snapshots.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »

That's the problem...you can't change the profile on the 5222.  Set to the highest settings its poor quality.  In order to get snaps...I am using video and taking snaps out of the video.  It would be nice to have just an HD snapshot capability.  That is what I am looking for is snapshots.

For a 1920x1080 picture, 127MB is severely compressed too..but it at least looks decent.