• March 29, 2024, 03:52:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Newbie Question on Drive Upgrades  (Read 3033 times)

bkpitman

• Level 1 Member
Newbie Question on Drive Upgrades
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »

I have had a DNS-343 for about a year now, and have it running RAID-5 with 4x1 terabyte drives.  I am swapping in 4x1.5 terabyte drives (the Seagate ones) one at a time, letting it rebuild and sync, then moving to the next.

First question: will the size of the drive increase naturally, or is it better (smarter) for me to back-up the info on the RAID-5, then switch out all 4 at a time, set it up for the big drive to begin with and copy all back on once it is done?

Next question: I have the first 1.5 terabyte drive swapped in already and the RAID is synced and rebuilt fine.  I put the 1 terabyte drive into another workstation to reformat it and use it as an extra drive for something else.  First of all, the computer doesn't see the new drive at all (in BIOS or in Disk Management) for me to initialize and format.  I also have a SATA/USB dock, and the drive isn't popping up there either.  It isn't making the click of death, but it does make a humming sound every 3-4 seconds (like the drive is trying to initialize).  I have never taken a drive from a RAID and tried to use it as a separate drive after using it in a RAID and didn't know if there was something else I needed to do to be able to format it, or did this one somehow fail after coming out of the RAID?

Thanks for any help/advice you all may be able to give...

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Newbie Question on Drive Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »

or is it better (smarter) for me to back-up the info on the RAID-5, then switch out all 4 at a time, set it up for the big drive to begin with and copy all back on once it is done?

That one

Next question: I have the first 1.5 terabyte drive swapped in already and the RAID is synced and rebuilt fine.  I put the 1 terabyte drive into another workstation to reformat it and use it as an extra drive for something else.  First of all, the computer doesn't see the new drive at all (in BIOS or in Disk Management) for me to initialize and format.  I also have a SATA/USB dock, and the drive isn't popping up there either.  It isn't making the click of death, but it does make a humming sound every 3-4 seconds (like the drive is trying to initialize).  I have never taken a drive from a RAID and tried to use it as a separate drive after using it in a RAID and didn't know if there was something else I needed to do to be able to format it, or did this one somehow fail after coming out of the RAID?

Thanks for any help/advice you all may be able to give...

Could be a couple issues but it seems pC related. can you swap it back into the NAS and will it work? Could be power related...jumper related..lots of possible ussues.

bkpitman

• Level 1 Member
Re: Newbie Question on Drive Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »

I did the backup/swap out thing, which worked like a charm.

The one drive was bad, but under warranty, so I just replaced it.  Thanks for the help!