• May 19, 2024, 06:10:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VPN on DGL-5500  (Read 6372 times)

THRESHIN

• Level 1 Member
VPN on DGL-5500
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:24:02 AM »

so i'll admit it - as good as i can be with computes in general, networking is not my strong point. maybe someone can give me a hand with this one.

i've had the DGL-5500 since it came out last year and have to say despite any complaints towards it i'm very happy. works very well and the streamboost feature is amazing. don't want to give this router up.

i would like to run my connection through a secure VPN for added security. i can do this via software on my desktop which is fine by me, but it seems to completely confuse streamboost. it sees the traffic from my system as general web traffic and can't differentiate between programs to divide up the bandwidth like it normally does. guessing it sees the VPN traffic as one encrypted connection despite what i run through it.

any thoughts? is it possible to have the router connect to the VPN so that streamboost would work in this scenario? any workarounds if not? considering using another router before the 5500 to handle just that...but seems kind of half-assed.

are there any other options i should consider to remain anonymous on the net and increase my security that might work better?

thanks.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: VPN on DGL-5500
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:33:42 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?

There maybe some things in SB like VPN that are not detected by SB correctly...they may categorize VPN and general traffic since SB may not have any security featured to detect secure VPN. Not sure about this. Most D-Link routers are VPN pass thru so there isn't much configuration needed.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

THRESHIN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:42:24 PM »

thanks for the reply!

router firmware version is 1.12, which appears to be the newest version with the exception of the beta (i'll wait thanks).

last i tried using a VPN, i used OpenVPN on my desktop through a DSL service up was 6mb, down was around 600k. since then i have switched to cable and not had the chance to try this again - must admit i went on the assumption that openVPN was encrypting my connection at my desktop so the router couldn't tell what was going on.

now my cable service is 10mb down/ 1mb up. service is cogeco in ontario canada, and is a dynamic IP. well sort of, its a 3rd party provider called nexicom that uses cogeco's network. the modem is a thomson DCM476, i believe i'm on DOCSIS 3.

now i'm kind of curious to try this again...seen a firmware update and a service change since i last tried this. but still, any suggestions would be great. thanks.

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:56:23 PM »

it sees the traffic from my system as general web traffic and can't differentiate between programs to divide up the bandwidth like it normally does. guessing it sees the VPN traffic as one encrypted connection despite what i run through it.

Of course! That's why you are using a VPN: You want to have protected your traffic via encryption and no router routing your VPN traffic to the remote VPN security gateway (or any other curious eavesdroppers on the wires composing the network path to that remote VPN gateway) allow to see what you send and receive. As a consequence your DGL-5500 can't see it either.

Obviously, the magic streamboost feature is sort of a blackbox whose behaviour can't be influenced by some expert manual settings, e.g. you can't say: "Reserve some amount of bandwith for the characteristics of my special VPN connection", e.g. any SSL/UDP traffic from source ip/port to dest ip/port in case of OpenVPN for example.

Maybe the situation improves after switching off the streamboost feature - but from your enthusiasm for that feature I would conclude this is not what you want.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:58:23 PM by PacketTracer »

THRESHIN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 04:20:58 PM »

yeah i kind of figured on that...makes sense that if the vpn connection takes place on the desktop that it would create one single encrypted transmission router side. so vpn does its job :D

and you're correct, i want to keep using the streamboost - that's why i bought this router! personally, i find it works extremely well. doesn't matter what i have going on over my network, speeds are always smooth and fast.

so with that in mind - suggestions?

PacketTracer

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »

so with that in mind - suggestions?

Unfortunately not. But maybe somebody else has an ingenious idea that provides the quadrature of the circle.

Using another VPN solution (e.g. IPsec based VPN) might help the DGL-5500 to identify it as a VPN that must be offered more bandwidth (for the VPN connection as a whole, not for the encrypted data inside it).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:00:38 PM by PacketTracer »

THRESHIN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »

the VPN connection getting enough bandwidth wasn't an issue - its that it was hogging it all from everything else!

sounds like i'll have to come up with another solution

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »

This maybe interaction behavior between VPN and SB and how it handles VPN traffic. Since VPN maybe encrypted, it's possible that SB can't actually detect the VPN data since it may not handle the encryption, so maybe by default it keeps it in general traffic. If you can find the device in the list of priorities, you should move this device thats doing the VPN down to a lower priority and see if that will help with the bandwidth hogging. Apply and save the settings...

I recommend that you phone contact your regional D-Link support office and ask for help and information regarding this. We find that phone contact has better immediate results over using email.
Let us know how it goes please.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.