• April 26, 2024, 07:48:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: email alerts not working?  (Read 5358 times)

dirtaddshp

email alerts not working?
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »

has anyone got this to work??? ive tried my domain SMTP and googles smtp with a active account and anonymous.. nothing works! even tried a ton of freemail SMTP addresses with fowarding.

it always says failed every time i click "test email"

grrrr.......!

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
Re: email alerts not working?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:10 PM »

Works fine to my internal mail server.  Depends what type of connection you're using, but bear in mind that by attempting to send to those external servers your IP may be getting rejected by various anti-spam techniques (reverse DNS, etc.).  For instance, outbound SMTP via my cable connection doesn't work, period, as my ISP has their IP blocks registered with most major RBLs as ones that should never send SMTP mail.  Your best bet would be a server that requires authenticated SMTP (the "account" setting in the DNS-343), but there aren't many of those.

That said, it'd be reeeeally nice to have a syslog to troubleshoot things like this...  :)

dirtaddshp

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »

well i did try using gmail which has a smtp.gmail.com and i added my account. But it did not seem to make a differense.. then again theres no place to put the port number and select the correct auth protocols.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:32:06 AM »

Gmail uses SSL authentication which the DNS-343 Email client does not support currently. Other email SMTPs that use SSL authentication will have the same issue is what you may be seeing.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

affinity

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 03:19:15 AM »

The solution is to use your ISP's mail server -- you just need an acceptable SMTP server..... my own server uses SSL too, that's why I use my ISP's details when I can't use my own -- I am actually using my own server okay though, but I did need an adjustment[1] in my mail server settings....

[1] valid date checking... it was failing without an exception.

puchika

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:54:16 AM »

The release notes for 1.03 firmware say Gmail is supported, but apparently it's not.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »

My last post in this forum was about a year ago. Gmail is now supported since then.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream