• April 19, 2024, 04:56:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DIR 655 latest firmware  (Read 13715 times)

JasonAG

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR 655 latest firmware
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »

If it works, great. If not, you may have destroyed your router and wasted hours of downtime.

Since my background is in human factors and user experience, I look at it this way:
- For a feature X (here it's saving/restoring your settings), how much benefit is it to the user? If there is an error (either user or computer) during task flow, how much does it impact the experience?

Given that the config save/restore "feature" does not work reliably and can cause disastrous consequences, I would think that D-Link would remove the instructions to actually USE the feature when upgrading to 1.31NA. I may have to work through an RMA to deal with my issue (see this thread: http://bit.ly/N1P0X).

For us tech-heads, writing down our settings or creating screen-captures is second nature. But think of all the non-tech users who are simply following D-Link's recommended upgrade procedure and potentially damaging their routers. Where did the QA and User Experience departments go?

Sigh.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »

I think most non-tech users have never even done a firmware update.  They buy it, they get a friend to set it up, it works, never touch it again.

FrostyMelon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »

^dave nailed it. Most people buy it, set it up...never screw with it again. Those that want to play around with firmware need to realize what they're doing may end up causing more issues than it's worth - if it ain't broke, don't fix it....or if you do, understand that the same amount of variables in place to fix your problem are exactly the same number that may cause it to go wrong. It's a risk, straight across the board.

JasonAG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »

Please don't make excuses for a flawed QA process on D-Link's part. If a non-beta firmware update is released, and the user follows the instructions as described by D-Link, then there should be a very high chance that the update goes as planned. The very fact that this process is failing or causing trouble with a lot of users saddens me.

When creating a device for consumers (not IT administrators), quality control is extremely important. Unfortunately, it seems that D-Link doesn't see it that way.

FrostyMelon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 02:42:11 PM »

"then there should be a very high chance "

...even you expressed doubt. Excuses? No. Reality? Yes. What 'saddens' me is that people fail to realize something can go wrong, regardless. Not everything is perfect, unfortunately.

JasonAG

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »

Wow, I didn't expect an analysis of all of my words. Given the conditions I had:

• All cables disconnected from router
  • Cat 6 ethernet cable from Laptop to DIR-655
  • Firmware on local hard drive
  • Router reset before upgrade procedure
  • Router restored to factory settings after upgrade procedure

I'm close to what D-Link probably thinks of as "ideal" upgrade conditions. Now I'm using a router that can't change its SSID from dlink, enable wireless security, etc.

Sure, I expect that things go wrong. Given that I've upgraded the firmware numerous times without a hitch, I didn't expect it to go wrong on this router.

I guess I have too much trust in companies.  :-\

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »

I do this after every firmware flash, regardless. It's not that difficult to write down/print out your various configs...also the absolute safest way to do it - I've never lost a backup this way!  ;D

I agree.  After setting up the same device so many times, you should be able to know exactly how it was as well.  Takes me 5 minutes to set everything up the way I want it from scratch. 

Bourbon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »

Tempted by 1.31, but 1.11 isn't giving me any real problems that I know of.  Probably a good idea to stick with what I know is working.

I still have a feeling that my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll hit 1.31 at some point.
Pages: 1 [2]