• April 18, 2024, 10:26:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 (RAID-5) 1 x Array Member Failed  (Read 5171 times)

guppies

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 (RAID-5) 1 x Array Member Failed
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:58:44 AM »

Dear all,

I have recently bought a DNS-343 NAS, configured to run on RAID-5 over 4 x 1.0TB Drives and just last night, one of the disks decided to call it a day.

The disks were bought all together at one go, brand new, same model and capacity. At max, only about a month back.

Sigh... Pity that disk only lasted 1 month.

Luckily for me, I am still able to access my files in the NAS. Thank goodness for RAID-5.

The failed disk has been sent in for an RMA. I was flipping through the Admin Guide that came along with the NAS, it only contains instructions, in many languages, of how to get it up and going. Nothing was mentioned about the recovery.

How do I replace the failed array member when the RMA disk comes back?

Just plug it back and pray?

Thank you for your time and gratefully appreciate your feedbacks!

Cheers,
guppies

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-343 (RAID-5) 1 x Array Member Failed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »

It will walk you through the process upon boot up when you login once you replace the drive.

Just power down the unit and insert the new drive into the same slot the failed drive was removed from Then power the DNS-343 back up. Log into the unit and you will be prompt to format and I believe there will be a check box to sync with the RAID5 configuration. Just check that box and continue.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

guppies

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »

Log into the unit and you will be prompt to format and I believe there will be a check box to sync with the RAID5 configuration. Just check that box and continue.

Hi ECF,

Thank you for your advice!

Just to be safe on my side, may I ask, when you mention "and you will be prompt to format" are you referring to formatting of the newly inserted disk? or formatting the entire array? o.O

Thanks,
guppies

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »

It will prompt you to format the newly inserted drive and inform you that no data on the other drives will be harmed.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

kjb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »

I have done this, twice. As ECF said, just login after you install the new drive and follow the prompts.

Keith
My System:
D-link DNS-343, 4 Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda drives w/fw 1.3b70