• March 28, 2024, 05:47:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Software locally can't find camera, but "mydlink" can. Help?  (Read 26966 times)

JTSmith

• Level 1 Member
Software locally can't find camera, but "mydlink" can. Help?
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:43:14 AM »

I installed my first IP camera.  Things seem to have went ok with the installation andd router.  I can view the video live from mydlink.com.

I've tried the dlink software, but it can't find the camera so I can control recording options, ftp, etc. 

I've also tried 3rd party software that can't find my camera.

I'm fairly internet savvy, but do not have access to my router admin atm. (cable company installed their own)   My home ip address is supposed to be dynamic.  I thought that would cause me problems viewing from mydlink.com, but it hasn't so far.

Can anyone tell me why my software can't find my camera locally?

Anyone know what I should do?  I'm leaving town soon and need to get this thing going. 

I plan to install 2 more, but wanted to get one working first.

MichaelCB

• Level 1 Member
Re: Software locally can't find camera, but "mydlink" can. Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:51 AM »

If you correctly added it to the router then your firewall may be blocking it. You will have to add it as a trusted devce.

My first one also would not be located. Even Norton would not display the device. So I manually put the IP into Norton and also manually put it into DLink view cam. Then it worked.

MichaelH1

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »

I had a similar problem.  I set up my camera and it was working fine.  I was able to see the live video, and administer the camera, by accessing it through its local static ip address http://192.168.1.102.  Then, a few days later, I was no longer able to access the camera through the ip address.  I wasn't able to ping it either.  I check my router and the camera wasn't in the list of active devices on my network.  It seemed that the camera had just died. 

But the really strange thing was that I was still able to access the camera through the mydlink software.  It was working fine.  I was able to see the live video and administer the camera.  There seemed to be nothing wrong, although I'm not sure whether or not absolutely everything was functional.

I rebooted the camera, and it reappeared in the list of active devices on my network, and I was again able to access it from http://192.168.1.102. 

A few days have gone by since then and it's still on my network.  If it happens again I'll let you all know.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks!

Mike

JTSmith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »

After talking to my cable company (who now bundles their router and modem together), they finally gave me the admin password.

I enabled port forwarding (not sure this actually helped as I haven't disabled it to see.)

The latest dlink software doesn't even have an option to add this model.  Level one tech support at dlink had me try to add it as a 932L.  That didn't work.

Level 2 support at dlink had me add it as an 1100, and that worked for some reason.  I think that was just the default entry when trying a manual add. (insert)

I've also been able to view the camera by local IP address this whole time.  It is the software which can't find it.   Not the d-viewcam, or other third party software. 

Enabling or disabling windows firewall has had no effect either way.  But the viewcam software has no option to add the 942 as a 942.  Well, I wouldn't say no effect...  If I want to view live from the internet, the firewall wants permission, which is fine with me. 

So I did get one 942L working with the free software for the moment, but I have not figured out what the problem is yet.  And by "working," I just mean that the software finds it and recognizes it as a camera.  I'm still working on setting it up otherwise.  Third party software still will not find it, so there is still some issue between my router and my recording software. 

I'll come back and let you guys know if I find anything more.

JTSmith

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »

Also, just so you know, this a fresh computer, with no 3rd party firewall issues.  Probably rooted by now.  lol.  But searching the address range has not found it with dlink software or other software, and I haven't been able to add it manually. 

My (apparently smart) girlfriend mentioned that maybe the camera is defective in that manner, but I was trying to get one working before I added another.  So I think I will add another and see if it can get detected/found like it should.

MichaelCB

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:17 AM »

Adding a 2nd camera is a problem. They all have port 80 as default. They can't use the same port. After you get the camera recognized on the router you will need to make some changes. In the DLink network setup you need to change from automatic IP address to Static IP address. Put the IP address in that was assigned automatically and then fill in the rest as such;

IPv4 Address   192.168.1.102 or whatever is assigned
Subnet Mask   255.255.255.0
Default Gateway (Router)   192.168.1.1 or whatever the router IP is
Optional Primary DNS   4.2.2.2
Optional Secondary DNS   4.2.2.3

Then go to D View Cam, select setting, click camera tab, double click on camera. Make sure the IP iddress is correct for that camera. Change the Http port from 80 to 81 for 2nd camera. 82 for third, and so on.

Then go to your router setp and enable the additional port(s).

You need to do this for all cameras. I also did the first one even though it was working.