• April 23, 2024, 03:00:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't connect to DNS-321  (Read 16656 times)

sbhnet

• Level 1 Member
Can't connect to DNS-321
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:21:32 PM »

Apparently my DNS-321 is having issues.  It's not getting connected to the LAN yet I'm seeing the activity LED flashing.  My concern is that the blue light that runs up from the power button to the top of the box is also flashing.  I've tried powering it off and back on and nothing's helping.  Easy Search can't find it either.  Suggestions?

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
Re: Can't connect to DNS-321
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

OK :-\ we need some answers. I have just bought the DNS 321 with a Windows 7 Professional system, and it doesn't recognize it with drives in or out. Please HELP!!!!

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »

Going to need more information for both of these issues.

What is your NAS connected to? Which LED's are lit on the front of the device?

Is the LAN port lit on whatever the NAS is connected to (the port that it is plugged in to)?

Do you see any activity on that port (blinking)?

What IP scheme is your network using, i.e, 192.168.x.x or other?

Have you tried resetting the NAS to defaults while it is on by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds?

Are you running a firewall on your PC that could be blocking the Easy Search Utility?

Have you tried looking in you routers DHCP table to see if the device received an IP address?

That should get you started.

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »

Hello, Well my DNS-321 is connected to my Linksys WRT54G V8 router with the DNS-321 connected per ethernet cable to port 3 on the back of my router. The light of the port used is lit. I believe I am using a 192.168.1.1 configuration. The bar on the DNS-321 is lit and the activity light is blinking on the DNS-321. I still need to look and see if the router DHCP table assigned an IP address. If it didn't how do I fix it???? I'm fairly good with computers but still learning the networking part. Will the DNS- 321 work with Windows 7 Professional???

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »

I also checked my DHCP table and don't see anything listed. I need some help. ???

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »

The device will work with almost any OS, including Win 7. It sounds like your NAS is not receiving DHCP from your router for whatever reason. Can you directly attach it to your PC and set a static IP address of in the 192.168.0.X range (anything BUT 192.168.0.32 since this is the default NAS ip). Then try to use the utility or simply try and connect to the devices web url via http://192.168.0.32/ . If that works then you can go into the LAN section of Setup and set a static IP in your routers range, something like 192.168.1.32 and then once you have saved the configuration you can reattach it to your router and reattach your pc to your router and make sure to set your PC back to DHCP instead of static (unless you had it on static already). Then once everything is hooked back up to the router try to connect to the new ip address IE, http://192.168.1.32/ .

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »

Ok I tried all of your recommendations. I do see I almost messed everything up trying the static Ip setup especially when I am not familiar with it. My computer nor network identified the DNS-321. Is it suppposed to be this difficult to setup?? Or is ist me???? I really wanna make this work,but just can't figure it out!!!!

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 11:33:47 AM »

Ok all I can say is thank you!!! I needed to go for a walk and breath. I read over the email again, and paid better attention. It worked like a charm. I now have access to my DNS-321!!! You guys rock!!!!!! ;D

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 12:00:25 PM »

You are welcome :).

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »

I do have one question. I do not see the DNS-321 in my list of drives. I also wasn't able o assign it a drive letter I.E.; d:,e:. How do I access the NAS on my network? Will I have to enter the ip address from the other computers on my network????

banginplates

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »

Also the setup utility on the included disk doesn't recognize the drive. Do I need to change the static IP address in the setup program for it to recognize the NAS????

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »

Once you have setup a static IP address you can go to My Computer, Tools, Map a Network Drive, and then you can point it to your nas by putting in the following \\IP_ADDRESS_YOU_USED\Volume_1