• March 29, 2024, 09:59:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Adapter fails to connect (Win7&10 / Belgium)  (Read 10656 times)

Pringab420

• Level 1 Member
Adapter fails to connect (Win7&10 / Belgium)
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »

Hey,
My old Belkin adapter started acting up, so I bought a new one — the DWA-131.
Drivers seem to install correctly and the device is properly recognized.
My modem appears in the list of available networks and I can try connecting to it.
I am 100% positive the password I provide is correct, and it looks like it's accepted.
So far, so good then. However connection fails almost immediately afterwards.
The prompt says: "Windows is Unable to Connect to [network name]"
Troubleshooting didn't help, though it does highlight connection has failed.
I have tinkered with every parameter imaginable from wireless mode to power supply, to no avail.
Uninstalling drivers entirely and trying another set didn't do the trick either.
My main desktop operates on Windows 7, but giving it a try on my Windows 10 laptop revealed the same problem.
This lead me to suspect there is some sort on incompatibility with the modem, a (Belgian) Proximus b-box3.
I find it difficult to believe however that an adapter I bought in Belgium would fail to function properly with one the country's most common modems.
Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Adapter fails to connect (Win7&10 / Belgium)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »

I assume other wireless devices work ok?

What type encryption are you using? (WPA2 / AES for example)?

Are you using Windows to connect to the wireless network or the D-Link software program? (do not use the dlink software).

Can you test your laptop on another wireless network?

Pringab420

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »

Thanks for your quick response.
My old adapter "works" okay insofar as it manages to connect to the network like it always used to, it just repeatedly disconnects after a few minutes (it's almost 10 year old). My laptop's PCI card works perfectly fine.
Encryption used is indeed WPA2 / AES. I do use Windows directly and not the provided software.
I should add that I have installed the "WPA2 Security (KRACK) Patch" available on D-Link technical support, but it didn't change a thing.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »

If you try your laptop with this adapter on another wireless network you can rule out issues with the adapter itself or compatibility issues with the bbox3.

Things to test:
1. Turn off any encryption on the bbox3 and see if the adapter connects. If it works ok, could be something with the encryption negotiation or password.

2. Do you use spaces and any "special characters" in your password? If so, maybe try only numbers and letters to see if it connects.

3. On the bbox3 in the wireless settings, make sure MODE is on 802.11b/g/n or anything with N since this wireless adapter is wireless N 2.4ghz.

4. Reboot the bbox3. It can sometimes magically fix things :)

Pringab420

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »

1. Just tried. It doesn't change anything beyond not prompting for a password.
2. Nope, no special character whatsoever.  I am 100% positive the password is correct.
3. Wireless mode is 802.11g/n.
4. Already tried; didn't help.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »

hmmm sounds like incompatibility issue or bad wireless adapter unfortunately.

So the adapter "sees" wireless networks but as soon as you connect it immediately fails and you get the error message? Is it instant or does it try to connect for 10 seconds and then get the error?

Pringab420

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »

Exactly, I can see all wireless networks fine but can't connect (at least not to mine). Attempts at establishing connection fail immediately, in a matter of tenths of a second.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »

The fact that it is immediately giving you the error it is like the bbox3 is rejecting it.

Definitely try on a public Wifi or a friends router/wifi and see if the behavior is the same. If it is, adapter is broke. If it does connect, then a negotiation issue with the bbox3.

Was the belkin adapter doing the same thing? Maybe the wifi on the bbox3 is acting up.

Pringab420

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:22:50 PM »

I have never encountered any such issue with the Belkin adapter. Moreover, I have no problem connecting to the b-box3 with my laptop.
That being said, I tried connecting to public WiFi (using the D-Link adapter) and... it does seem to work. I can't surf the Internet because it's one of those commercial hotspots where you have to log into it through a dedicated interface and I don't know how to do that in that particular instance, but there was no connection failure.

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 06:45:02 AM »

Do you have MAC filter or parental control enabled?

Unfortunately it looks like the adapter may be incompatible with the bbox3 which is strange.

I would contact D-Link Support and see if they have heard of this issue, especially if that modem is a popular modem with your ISP.

https://eu.dlink.com/be/nl/support/contact