• April 26, 2024, 08:10:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320 Internal Backup Problems  (Read 4875 times)

alsimons

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320 Internal Backup Problems
« on: December 16, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

Hi Folks

First post on here, but I must have read a hundred articles while trying to solve my problem; if this has been answered elsewhere please point me in the right direction :)

I have a D-Link 320 with 2 HDDs in it (3TB and 1TB) running the latest firmware (2.03) - everything is fine with the unit with the exception of the backup feature which I cannot get working.

All of my data is on my 3TB HDD (Volume_2). The 1TB HDD (Volume_1) is intended as a backup destination...

I have tried many slightly different ways of getting Internal backups from Volume_2 to Volume_1 working, but nothing works. I rarely even get a Fail message.

I have tried the following on the Local Backups page:

Category: Internal Backup
Login Method: Anonymous
Username/pw: greyed out
Type: Folder
URL: Volume_2/backtest/
Save To: Volume_1/Backups/backtest/
Recurring Backup: Set to Daily, a few minutes in the future (time on NAS checked and is in sync with my watch and PC)

I then click settings and wait. The backup settings appear in the table at the bottom of the screen, but then nothing else happens. After the scheduled time long-since passes I check the destination folder, which is empty, I try clicking the Green "play" triangle in the Start/Stop column of the backup list - it changes to a double dash, but nothing else happens.

I then tried repeating all of the above using a new user I created called backup with its own password. I then changed the above scheduled backup so that the Login Method was Account and used the new backup user login credentials. Again nothing worked.

I can see nothing in the error logs, no info to tell me what is happening, and am getting close to buying a different unit from another manufacturer... unless one of you folks have some ideas I can try.

Many thanks for reading this far and for any help you can offer.

alsimons

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-320 Internal Backup Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:50:48 PM »

I should also add that I tried clicking the 'Test' button, but this is greyed out - I think this is only enabled for LAN Backups.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »

Are you saying you are trying to backup 3TB to 1TB?  Because that is not going to happen.  The other way round will work.

alsimons

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:43:21 AM »

Hi

Sorry I should have made myself clearer - I am backing up selected folders from the 3tb drive to the 1tb drive,  not the whole 3tb contents!  The example I gave above was to backup a folder with a handful of tiny text files.  That's all.

Cheers

Al

albert

• Level 5 Member
    • SoHo NAS Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

Both immediate and scheduled backup worked on my end. I login using admin and the setup is similar to your, backing up selected folder in Volume_2 to Volume_1.
D-Link DNS-320 rev A1 (FW: 2.05) [FFP-0.7]
PCI NAS-01G (FW: Encore ENNHD-1000 4.10)
PCI NAS-01G (FW: OpenNAS 1.9]

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »

I have to agree with albert, it works here as well.

Maybe you could try logging in with a different browser just to check there isn't a browser incomparability problem. 

alsimons

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »

I have tried firefox and chrome.

I wonder if i should start again with a blank target hard drive (Volume_1) and no backup schedules, then add a simple backup to see how i get on...

alsimons

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »

PS Thanks for your time and help...

alsimons

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »

Making some progress - successfully backed up a small folder after deleting all backup jobs and deleting everything on the target hdd, then setting up a new backup job from a clean slate. I guess there must have been some kind of conflict - if only there has been a useful error message - I could have saved hours.