• April 19, 2024, 12:53:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS340L V.1.04 - RAID 5 - volume_1 failed!  (Read 3753 times)

peter_d

• Level 1 Member
DNS340L V.1.04 - RAID 5 - volume_1 failed!
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »

Hello,

i have a DNS340L V.1.04. Installed are 4x 3TB HD's (same brand, type) configured as RAID5. After one week lifetime i turned on the NAS and HD4 had an orange LED. I opened the webgui and the DNS asked me to rebuild cause volume_1 failed. I clicked yes.. it took 24 hours to resync the raid. Now nothing happened. Volume_1 is still gone and no option to reactivate old raid config. It's only giving the option to "Set RAID Type and Re-Format". Is there any option to get the old status back of my existing raid5?

Thanks an lot and BR

Peter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:01:18 AM by peter_d »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS340L V.1.04 - RAID 5 - volume_1 failed!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »

Did you replace the failed disk before you tried to rebuild the RAID array?  If not then you have messed up the whole array by trying to rebuild with a failed drive.

peter_d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:03 AM »

yes i did with same type (had a spare). any chance to get the volume back?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 08:28:51 AM »

When you say 'same type' I hope you mean 'same capacity' or larger i.e 3 TB or more.

If it was smaller then you will need to get out your last tested backup, reformat the drives and restore your data.

I am making an assumption here that you don't have a backup and want to try and recover what you can from the drives, in which case read the recovery sticky at the beginning of this forum and be prepared to spend some money both for software to analyse and create virtual drives of your array, then a SATA/USB adapter with its own power supply to allow the computer to read the disks and finally maybe extra disks for the computer to store any recovered data and the virtual RAID array.

I am sorry I can't paint a better picture for you because we have seen many people with the same problem you have.  In some cases we have been able to recover 85% of their data, in other cases a lot less.  At one time it was so bad that we insisted that our clients with 4 bay nas boxes (all brands) used two sets of RAID 1 arrays rather than even thinking about RAID 5.  At least with RAID 1 you have a simple way of copying the data from the disk if one of them dies.