• April 25, 2024, 12:02:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with FTP please.  (Read 12487 times)

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
Help with FTP please.
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here so bear with me.

First what I am wanting to accomplish. I live in Hawaii now (just got out of the military and they stationed me here) and all of my family and friends are scattered throughout the mainland. I would like to be able to place all of my pictures and videos and other files so as I can give other of my choosing access to them over the internet. Sounds a lot like FTP right?

My setup: Clearwire Modem
               WNR2000 Router (netgear)
              D-link DNS 323
              On my network now I have a Vista 32bit machine, XP Machine, WiFi Printer, PS3 and then the various odds and ends, e.g., psp, wife's itouch, guests machines, phones that sometimes connect via wifi.

The NAS box said it could be used with ftp but I cant figure it out. I also setup a profile on the dlinkddns.com site and now everytime I go to the website they gave me the CPE GUI pops up. I was hoping (kinda still am) that there is a way to do this without setting up a static IP address. I have tried reserving an IP for the NAS but no dice.

Basically guys I am at my wits end, even though I know it is probably really easy to do if I would stop being cheap and get a static IP through my ISP. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
Re: Help with FTP please.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »

You don't need a static IP from you ISP... that is what the dlinkddns.com is for - it tracks your dynamic IP from your ISP so that you only have to point to the dlinkddns.com.

The FTP is setup under "Advanced" or "Tools" (I can't remember - I will check when I get home).  You will have to forward port 21 from your router to the DNS323.  For this the DNS323 will need a static IP in your home network.  This is setup in the web GUI (again, I can give more detailed info when I get home).

This is how you should start. 

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »

OK... I found the emulator online.

You need to set the DNS 323 to a static IP for your internal network ("Setup" -> "LAN").  Select Static IP and set this to something that is not in the DHCP range of your router. 

To Start FTP ("Advanced" -> "FTP Server").  You need to set up users as well.  This is also done under the "Advanced" Tab. 

Hope this helps.

Wiggs,
Wiggs,

WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:15:17 PM »

Wiggs, thanks for the help. I am no able to successfully open up the NAS in a browser via FTP..this is only in my LAN. When I entered a different network and tried connecting to the NAS I was only able to get a timed-out connection. Any ideas? There really should be an easier way to do this.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:26:10 AM »

Will.

Focus first on getting ftp working on the LAN - if it's working there it won't work from a remote site - taking a step by step approach makes the process a little easier.

These are the basics steps.

1 - Set a static LAN ip address on the DNS-323 (or a DHCP reserved address) - this is so that you will always know where to look for it.
2 - Configure at least one user on the DNS-323 and then give that user ftp access to a folder & start the ftp server
3 - test for local access.

If you're going to use your browser for ftp access you need to enter the address of the ftp server like this - ftp://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd - where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the LAN address you gave the DNS-323.

After you have ftp working on the LAN, we can add the remaining steps to get it working remotely.

Now - I don't know how "network savvy" you are - each of the three steps I have outlined can be considered as "blocks" and further broken down into individual steps, Wiggs has covered some of them, if you need help with them let me know.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »

Fordem,

Thanks for the steps. Last night I was able to get access within my LAN. This is good. Now that I have that working I am half happy because I know that I am on the right track. So now I need to figure out how to get from my the internet and access my ftp.

If I go to my browser (while connected to my own network) and type ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx:portnumberhere I see my NAS. However, if I type thisismyurl.dlinkddns.com I get nothing.   

If I connect to a different network and try the same addresses (I also tried having my mom get into from VA) then I get a timed out error. I can only GUESS that I need to somehow configure my modem to accept a connection from the internet to my LAN. I dont know how to accomplish this though.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »

Can you ping thisismyurl.dlinkddns.com?  If so, what IP address does it resolve to?
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »

Fordem,

Thanks for the steps. Last night I was able to get access within my LAN. This is good. Now that I have that working I am half happy because I know that I am on the right track. So now I need to figure out how to get from my the internet and access my ftp.

If I go to my browser (while connected to my own network) and type ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx:portnumberhere I see my NAS. However, if I type thisismyurl.dlinkddns.com I get nothing.   

If I connect to a different network and try the same addresses (I also tried having my mom get into from VA) then I get a timed out error. I can only GUESS that I need to somehow configure my modem to accept a connection from the internet to my LAN. I dont know how to accomplish this though.

Will - for now - set things up to use the standard ftp port - port 21 - so that you can connect on your LAN using ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - using non-standard ports just complicates things, we'll use the standard ports for now.

Next - IE defaults to something called passive ftp - which you probably are not configured for (yes, I know it works fine across the LAN, but it won't from the internet) so we need to tell IE not to use passive ftp.

Find internet options, select the advanced tab, and scroll down until you find the box for passive ftp and uncheck it and then click apply.

Now try accessing from the internet again.

If this does not work we need to look at two things - your dlinkddns settings and your port forward settings - gunrunnerjohn has shown a way to test the dlinkddns settings.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:39:51 PM »

You might want to consider FileZilla for an FTP client, it works well with most FTP servers, including the DNS-323 one.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »

gunrunnerjohn-- I pinged the address and it came back with 192.168.xxx.xxx which turns out is my router. I had FileZilla on here before and it works great, just not with mine lol.

Fordem-- First of all, Gunrunner and yourself, thank you both very very much. I changed my ports to the default (21) and tried two things.

1. Tried from within my LAN with IE setup the way you said to. It asked me for a username and password, which is a first.

2. Tried from outside my network and got nothing once again. I tried IE and chrome (which sucks for FTP by the way) both to no avail.

Ideas?

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »

When you ping thisismyurl.dlinkddns.com you should not be getting an IP that starts with 192.XXX.XXX.XXX - this is the IP of you internal network. 

If you go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ it should show you what the http://www.whatismyip.com/ should be returning for an IP address.  This is your EXTERNAL address that is accessible outside your internal network.

Wiggs,
Wiggs,

WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC

william.walker87

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »

Wiggs,

Thanks and I am well aware of this and wish I knew how to fix it. If i take my external ip and try to go to it from over the internet all I get is the GUI for my actual modem (clear wimax modem by motorola.) with the following options:
1: Personalize (password, Device Time, Devince Name, Restore factory settings.
2: Internet (WiMax Security, Internet Protocol, Firewall with a bunch of things I cant change, and DDNS
3: Status (current status of everything).
4: Port Forwarding: Basic which includes DMZ Ip Address, and Port forwarding with options to set a protocol (TCP/UDP) WAN Port Start/End, LAN Port Start/End, and LAN IP address

Forwards inbound connections destined to ports on the WiMAX interface, to a specific client on your local network. You can specify a corresponding destination LAN port range as well. Port forwards can be used to support a web server, or other special service, offered on your local network

5: Local Address: DHCP Server, Lease Reservation, and Lease Status
6: Control Panel: which has the certificates, about, and all that stuff.

Seeing as how I think that the problem is somewhere inside the modem and not the router or the DNS (simply because if I use my external/WAN/Over the internet IP address it takes me to the log-in page for my modem.

Hope this helps someone help me.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:28:18 AM »

Will - let's start by checking what your Netgear router thinks it's public ip address is - login to the router and see if it shows up as a 192.168 address.

If it does - it indicates that you have something in the router/modem area that needs to be resolved.

Looking at the info you have provided it seams that the "clear wimax" modem is actually a modem/router and that will complicate things somewhat - find out from the ISP if it can be put into "bridged mode" so it acts as a modem only - if not set it so that the WNR2000 is in the DMZ.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:47 AM »

I agree with fordem, it sounds as if you  have two routers in your setup - your ISP's modem/router and your router. 

Does you modem have multiple lan ports that you could use instead of having to use the other router?  Also, trying to set bridge mode will also help if it is possible as stated in the previous post.

If not, we will have to be creative and do some extra forwarding to have traffic reach the FTP behind the modem/router -> router configuration.   

Wiggs,

Wiggs,

WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 06:03:35 AM »

If not, we will have to be creative and do some extra forwarding to have traffic reach the FTP behind the modem/router -> router configuration.   
That's the reason for putting the second router in the DMZ of the first router.
Pages: [1] 2