• April 18, 2024, 05:02:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: "Read-only or encrypted"  (Read 2771 times)

Woody

• Level 1 Member
"Read-only or encrypted"
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »

Working on a client's DNS-323, firmware 1.07, with access from WinXP systems. 

After giving each user their own share and login to a folder under the root, and removing the "All Users" permission, the users receive a "Read-only or encrypted" error when trying to open a few Excel spreadsheets on the device.  It doesn't occur with every spreadsheet, only a few of them.  Most are using Excel 2003.

With the first file, I had a user re-add the "All users/all access" rule, copy the file to her desktop, then remove the rule and move the file back to the device, and it worked.  I could do this with all the error-laden spreadsheets, but the client and I are looking to save some time on the project.

I have read that a reset may help.  I do have a current config file for the device.  Would I save time by doing a reset, then loading the config file?  Or would I be better served by doing a reset, then re-configuring everything manually?

I'm not terribly comfortable in Linux, and would rather not telnet into the box.

Thanks for any input.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: "Read-only or encrypted"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »

I believe that is fixed in 1.08, it's a known bug.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

Woody

• Level 1 Member
Re: "Read-only or encrypted"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »

Update, in case someone else has the issue.

I reset to factory settings via the web interface, and reloaded the config file.  No change. 

The workaround is to leave an 'all users' share open.  The admin assistant at the business unmaps from her passworded account, remaps to the 'all users' share, moves the offending file to her desktop, unmaps and remaps to the passworded account, and moves it back to the DNS.  (I probably could have left both mapped, but I wanted her to have a "you have just changed folders" reminder.)

It works for now, but it is kludgy and awkward.  I'm planning on doing a global remove-replace after hours next week.  Luckily, only about 10-20% of the files are affected.