• March 28, 2024, 02:48:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-655 - Setting up QoS / Wish  (Read 14396 times)

MoggSquad

• Level 1 Member
DIR-655 - Setting up QoS / Wish
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »

I'm preparing for a move and at my new place I will have a roomate and am not used to having to share the internet connection with someone.

I want to set the 655 by priority of service in order listed below, NOT priority of device(console/pc) (as any given device can stream netflix) Should I be using QoS or Wish?

1 - 360 / PS3 / PC gaming
2 - Netflix Streaming
3 - Web Surfing (Facebook, etc)
4 - File transfer between internal network (Windows Media Center, streaming music from Media PC)
5 - Downloading (Newsgroups, fileplanet, xbox/ps3 game trailers)

If I am playing Battlefield BC:2 on 360, I do not want to have performance issues if my friend is streaming netflix.

Currently with QoS set to auto I will be streaming Netflix and the connection will downgrade as soon as I start facebooking on my iphone.  I'm not sure if that's just the way it is, or auto QoS is not doing it's job.

Also if the ISP has speedburst, does that affect QoS as well?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:58:36 PM by MoggSquad »

MoggSquad

• Level 1 Member
Re: Setting up QoS / Wish
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »

On a side note, I do not know which devices will be wired or wireless yet, but all are capable of wifi.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
Re: DIR-655 - Setting up QoS / Wish
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »

Hi,

If you have a nice fat internet connection, then QoS shouldn't be a problem...well in theory at least.

in reality XBox360 doesn't need too much pipe at all....unless you host games, which I dont suggest anyhow if you want to maintain security for your local LAN....

If you are gonna be streaming netflix a lot, I would be more concerned with going over any monthly caps you may have in your area from your ISP....
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

djdevon3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 03:22:16 PM »

I use QoS manually and it does a great job.  If I'm using P2P with max bandwidth set I can still browse HTTP without it choking up.  In the same scenario, without QoS it will slow down HTTP packets considerably.  So in my experience QoS is more than adequate.  The only feature I can think of that QoS is missing is a bandwidth limitation you specify for ports.  It can be tedious if you have a ton of games prioritizing each application + port range (since most games use different ports) but that's a one time thing.  Set it and forget it.

I can't speak about Wish because I don't use it.  Unless QoS doesn't work for wireless traffic.  QoS does everything I need.  QoS is a great feature to have and I use it all the time.  It does make a difference in prioritizing traffic.

SomeFatGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »

I have pretty much the same set-up as you. I play BF:BC2 also, and I stream from my PC and netflix. My QoS is set to auto and me and my sister can both stream something from netflix at the same time without any quality loss. The only thing is I made my Xbox top priority and my sister can do anything she wants and I've seen no lag in game whatsoever. Also my Xbox is on wireless N.

Link>Gaming and QoS for XBL

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:27:58 PM by FurryNutz »