• April 16, 2024, 01:53:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: ICS Problems  (Read 4908 times)

SilveradoXD

• Level 1 Member
ICS Problems
« on: October 16, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »

Hello all,

Question about ICS (internet connection sharing), short story - cant get the laptop internet access. Details:

Desktop (XP Home SP3) uses a dial up USB modem (Alltel / Verizon - roughly DSL speeds) for Internet. This is my parents main computer. Thought that it would be nice for them to be able to use their laptop while the other one was on the desktop. Laptop (Vista Premium SP2)

Router is a new DLINK WBR-1310. Setup ICS on the XP desktop using the network setup wizard. From my reading, when ICS is turned on - the NIC of the ICS Host is set to 192.168.0.1 ... Router is also 192.168.0.1 When both the router and NIC of the XP desktop are set to 192.168.0.1, I do get an error about an IP conflict - BUT the Vista laptop will get internet. When I change the router's IP to 192.168.0.2 (also tried 192.168.10.1) I lose internet on the laptop. Changing the IP of the router forces it to reboot and I lose internet. Reboot the desktop and laptop has no effect on restoring the internet connection.

I have verified that with either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2 router IP addresses, both computers can see and access files on either computer. I have even changed the default gateway on the laptop to 192.168.0.1 and still can not connect to the internet.

Routing is as follows. USB modem plugged into the front of the XP desktop. Ethernet cable running from the back of the XP desktop to LAN #1 on the router. Laptop connects wirelessly to the DLINK router.

Any help or info on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Networking isnt exactly my strong point. Thanks in advance.

SilveradoXD

themechanician

• Level 1 Member
Re: ICS Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »

similar problems here - it seems, may be that the wireless laptop is having its gateway assignment set to the routers address by dhcp. I can not see any way to set gateway to 192.168.0.1 via dhcp.

screennumb

• Level 1 Member
me too! Re: ICS Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:14:25 PM »

I'm in an almost identical situation. I'm connecting to the internet through a wifi router using my external USB wifi nic. I'm trying to share that through the ethernet connection into the wbr-1310's lan port. My laptop connects to the wbr-1310's wifi network but doesn't get internet. I'm still working on it and if I find anything I'll post it here. Anybody have a helpful link or advice for us?

screennumb

• Level 1 Member
Re: ICS Problems
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »

I stumbled upon a configuration that is working. The key seemed to be having the primary DNS address in the router set to that of my ethernet NIC (192.168.0.1). This setting is in the router admin under SETUP>INTERNET (or http://192.168.0.2/wan.htm if yours is using the same IP as mine).

Other than that my DHCP server in the router is disabled as is the UPnP. I hope this helps someone else out.