• April 24, 2024, 11:57:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Internet Connection Keeps Dropping Out  (Read 9170 times)

cjlapp

Internet Connection Keeps Dropping Out
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »

I just installed a DIR-615 to replace a DI-707P with a bad powerpack. I have upgraded firmware from 1.00 to 1.10. I'm running two CAT5e connections (one XP Pro, one W2K Pro) with 2 wireless g (on and off - both XP Pro). Even though Network Magic says the connection is established and working properly, the internet connection keeps dropping.

Using the Network Magic connection troubleshooter does nothing to reestablish the connection (power cycling the router repeatedly and checking all cables - even power cycling the cable modem - does no good).

The only thing that appears to work is doing a release / renew directly in the router software.

Initially this happened only when the PC was not currently active, but it seems that taking a minute to read a post, then trying to return to the list page is a sufficient gap of inactivity to lose the connection.

Anyone have any fixes for this or should I return the router?  This is not the way I want to work, especially since I'm not always sitting at a wired PC.

Klom Dark

Re: Internet Connection Keeps Dropping Out
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

Flip your router upside down and look for "HW Ver", if it's A1, return it I haven't seen anyone get the thing working. If it's B2, then put the 2.24 firmware update on it. I had pretty much identical results on my version B2 of the DIR-615 until I put 2.24 on it.

jbl-az

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:24:06 AM »

Flip your router upside down and look for "HW Ver", if it's A1, return it I haven't seen anyone get the thing working. If it's B2, then put the 2.24 firmware update on it. I had pretty much identical results on my version B2 of the DIR-615 until I put 2.24 on it.

I had a problem similar to this.  A few weeks ago I discovered the existence of version 1.10 of the firmware (released last July); that seems to have fixed my connectivity problem.

(The thing can't keep time very well, though.)

/JBL

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »

The time issue can be resolved by using a NTP server for your time settings.

Bmonk

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »

I am having the same exact problem.

I have a B2 version and I have updated the firmware to 2.24, but the internet connection still keeps dropping out randomly.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:59:49 PM by Bmonk »

Klom Dark

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »

Have you tried different channels? Try both 1 and 11.

Bmonk

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »

I had it on Auto Channel Scan, I tried Channel 1 and 2, they both dropped. I am currently trying 11, we'll see how this one does.

The thing is, it doesn't just drop connection on my wireless computers. It also drops the connection on the PC it is connected to via LAN.

Edit: Channel 11 didn't work either.

I noticed that "Unicasting" was checked, so I unchecked it. Hopefully this helps.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:35:05 AM by Bmonk »