• March 29, 2024, 12:21:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using the DIR-655 as an access point WITH Guest Zone - can it be done?  (Read 23540 times)

Savage1701

• Level 1 Member

I recently picked up a 655 with hardware version A2 and flashed to the latest firmware.  I have a HotBrick router.  I only want to use the 655 as an access point AND especially to use the Guest Access or Guest Zone feature to allow visitors to bring their laptops and not virus up my network.  My home network is open among a few computers for things like SageTV, file serving, etc.

I can get the 655 to function just fine as a standard access point by following the instructions to turn off UPNP, DHCP, etc. as outlined in the manual.  I then enable the Guest Access/Zone  feature, and of course give it a different SSID name, make sure it's on 24 hours a day, that it is enabled, etc.

But, none of my computers can access the internet via the Guest Account feature, just the regular wireless portion.  They show connecting to the Guest Account name, etc. but no internet.  I've disabled every security feature I know of to test this.  Again, the "regular" WAP tests great, but no Guest Account, which is really important and one of the main reasons I bought the unit.

I'm wondering - does the Guest Account feature only work if the 655 is the main router, has DHCP enabled, etc.?  Does it have to be the one and only router?  If so, I'm in trouble, because I can't really give up my HotBrick due to failover features, etc.

If anyone knows how to actually get the Guest Account feature to work with the router functioning only as an access point that would be great.  I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 06:42:38 PM by Savage1701 »

rsarvis

• Level 1 Member

Hello!

I'm having the same issue here, as well.  I'm using two DIR-655's.  One as the router and the second as a WAP.  Which version of the Firmware are you using?  I'm using 1.21 on both routers.  However, the first router is using hardware version A4 and the second (as the WAP) is using hardware version A3.

What's really maddening is that I can "see" the second d-link guest account on the WAP - but, can't connect.  I'm wondering if this issue may be related to the Firmware.  However, I'm reticent to just surreptitiously upgrade both of them "willy-nilly" without a better understanding of what's really going on.

The secure sides of both the router and the WAP work flawlessly and have markedly improved our connectivity and our speed with both laptops and handheld devices.  However, having the guest account functionality on both would be extremely helpful.  (For the real "guests" in the house who are non-family members - if you catch my drift!)

Any additional information would be gratefully appreciated.  Thanks.

sesca

• Level 2 Member

The Guest Zone will separate the clients connected to it from the LAN. So if you are trying to allow a "Guest" access to the local ports you will have to check Enable Routing Between Zones.

However, enabling this will allow "Guests" to access to your local resources.

smitman

• Level 1 Member
Re: Using the DIR-655 as an access point WITH Guest Zone - can it be done?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »

Anyone ever figure out how to use it as an Access Point and utilize the Guest Zone?

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »

How about trying it out?  ??? You can't do any harm. You do need another device to act as DHCP, otherwise you cannot have the dir act as AP only...

Link>Bridge Mode vs Relay vs Acess Point (AP) / Routers vs Dedicated Access Points (AP)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:20:32 AM by FurryNutz »
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33

schollii

• Level 1 Member

I got this to work, at least in unsecured mode: I had to add the MAC address to the Network Filter page. This surprised me since, eventhough I have MAC filtering turned on, I wouldn't have thought the guest zone would care about that setting. There should be a separate checkbox in the guest zone for "Use MAC filtering if it is ON".

geobrick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 07:10:28 PM »

I tried "Enable Routing Between Zones" and it does allow guest zone access to the internet but it also allows access to all the other assets on your network. So it no longer functions like a guest zone.

Based on my test, you can't access the internet through the guest zone with the router set up as an access point without setting "Enable Routing Between Zones". Once you enable that, you don't really have a guest zone anymore.

Maybe there's a way to use WAN port for the access point instead of one of the LAN ports. Then the guest zone might work the way it would with the DIR-655 in router mode.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

Guest Zone is dependent upon use of the WAN port. So when in wired AP mode, Guest Zone will not work.

I tried "Enable Routing Between Zones" and it does allow guest zone access to the internet but it also allows access to all the other assets on your network. So it no longer functions like a guest zone.

Based on my test, you can't access the internet through the guest zone with the router set up as an access point without setting "Enable Routing Between Zones". Once you enable that, you don't really have a guest zone anymore.

Maybe there's a way to use WAN port for the access point instead of one of the LAN ports. Then the guest zone might work the way it would with the DIR-655 in router mode.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.