• March 28, 2024, 05:41:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How do I setup motion detection?  (Read 8671 times)

MikeSD

• Level 2 Member
How do I setup motion detection?
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »

I may have made a mistake buy buying one of the new DCS-8010LH.  I was thinking it might be better than my DCS-936L, but in fact, it might be far worse.

I set it up with no problem, and I can see the video.  The app is pretty bad as far as user friendliness, but if I could get it to work, I could live with the app.

I don't seem to be able to make sense of the motion detection.  I setup a camera.  I set the detect area.  And that's when had no more I could do.  No place to specify where a video or photo should be sent.  No place to specify any specific push notification.   AND, when I walked though the detect area, there was a note made in some log.  But I got no notification that motion was detected.

On my 936L, I could specify what to do upon detection. I can get push notifications, send emails, etc.  On this 8010LH, I don't seem to be able to set anything and didn't get any notifications.

Does the DCS-8010LH require a paid subscription to be able to do anything but watch a video?  It's hardly worth the cost, if a paid subscription is required.

Is it possible to get a motion detection, without a paid subscription, with the 8010?

GreenBay42

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: How do I setup motion detection?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:24:50 AM »

Did you go to support.dlink.com/dcs-8010LH-US for FAQs?

The DCS-8xxxLH series cameras are different than other mydlink cameras. They are app-only. They are working on a new portal (mydlink.com) which will add some features to this camera line. Not sure when though.

I agree the motion detection setup is a pain. After you set the area, you have to set up an automation. This is done automatically when you first set up the camera.

FAQ on automation - https://support.dlink.com/FAQView.aspx?f=BNKobWH928Bzn%2fH0grcGtA%3d%3d

Cloud recording is free or paid depending on what you want. This records video from motion/sound detection to the mydlink cloud. This camera supports an SD card if you would rather record locally. Unfortunately this line of cameras removed email and FTP support, as well as RTSP support.