• April 19, 2024, 12:46:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Nero 7's Dirty Little Trick -Heads Up-  (Read 8188 times)

C4MP3R

Nero 7's Dirty Little Trick -Heads Up-
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »

Well i was on Nero 7 Essentials that shipped with the 510 unit.  I was using MP4 format for my movies and now i find that the Nero media server only has a 30 day trial for MP4 support.  What's up with that?  Why would D-Link do that to their users?  Why wouldn't we have full support for the software purchased with the unit?  I didn't see any kind of warning that stated i had a trial period.  Now i have to purchase Nero 8 to watch my movies.  I tried changing the transcoding to MPEG-2 but the quality is not as good (it does play however).  If i leave it on original format it won't play and if i set it to automatic it dumbs down to something aweful.

And NO i cannot use WMP 11 as my media server because it doesn't support MP4 format.

To note: when this first came up i thought i had a serious recoding issue.  I have to troubleshoot issues it seems weekly so its hard to determine what problem is surfacing.  The only warning i got was that my movies pixelized really bad on the TV. I didn't realize until i restarted the media server using MP4 Transcoding that i found that the trial for MP4 support was expired.  A message popped up and wouldn't let the media server start up.  This was after trying numerous recoding options for MP4 to try and resolve the problem.  This was after many attempts to resolve the issue using other means.  i damn near scrapped my unit.

i have to say i appreciate all the little quirks the DSM-510 has and how many days i waste trying to resolve the true problem.  I'm finding that the wireless seems to be the heart of many problems, but not in this case.

It seems everytime i think i have it beat (and i become satisfied with the unit) it throws me another curve ball.  I'll have to post a "what i've learned" one of these days so that no one else has to got through these issues.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Nero 7's Dirty Little Trick -Heads Up-
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

The Nero Media server that comes with the DSM-510 does not have a trail period. If you were to download the free trail of Nero recode for recoding your video files to AVI (mpeg layer4) format you will however get a 30 day trail but this is not part of the DSM-510 and media server software package.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

C4MP3R

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:30:39 AM »

That is the error message i get when i set transcoding to MP4.

if i set it to MP4 and press Start Server the server won't start up and a message box pops up and says 30 day support for MP4 has expired.

i recode my movies on another pc.  The issue is coming from a dedicated media server where Nero 7 is installed.  You won't get this message if you do not have transcoding set to MP4.  If you leave it on Original or Automatic, it will start up, but the video has serious pixilization.

It wasn't until i tried different options (this was after i played with the recoding parameters) on the Nero Media Server that i found a trial period had expired.

Have you guys tested MP4 support past 30 days?

I even tryied to clean the registry and file system after unistalling and the re-installed nero 7 essentials, but i was unsuccessful at removing the trial message.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »

C4MP3R you are correct. I was not aware of this message or that it was limited support for mp4 files for 30 days I always left it on auto-detect and have not gotten this message. I am sorry but I do not have details why Nero has decided to do this for mp4 support. Please try using our D-Llink media server this can be downloaded from our DSM-520 website. This should provide you with mp4 video support.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DSM%2D520

C4MP3R

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »

Will DLink address this issue with Nero?
or
Will DLink warn users so that they don't spend time creating a library of mp4 videos just to find out that they have to purchase another set of software (that isn't cheap)?

There should be a warning that it has trial support, or maybe Nero isn't aware that they left the trial active.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »

Yes Nero is aware that it is set as a trial because The Nero essentials it free Nero software that just provides you with the Nero medias server software only. This allows you to try out mp4 playback for 30 days and it allows you to click the link to enter your credit card information to continue support of this format. All other formats will continue to work for free.    l