• May 05, 2024, 09:23:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: stream music to 2 rooms  (Read 6529 times)

schmecky

• Level 1 Member
stream music to 2 rooms
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »

So I have a 750 extender in the familyroom, and I'm now finishing the living room.

Is there any way I could stream music and have it play in 2 rooms?

I would get a 2nd xtender, but I don't think there's a way to synch the audio output is there? (the rooms are next to eachother, so music would have to play in synch to work properly.

I'd use the RCA outputs from the 750, but unfortunately I think the DSM-750 will only put audio output to 1 type at a time (S/PDIF, OR RCA out) am I correct in this?

For reference I have my DSM-750 with optical out to a Yamaha YSP-900. (unfortunately the Yamaha does not have a passthru or audio out option.

Any ideas?  or has someone accomplished something like this?

schmecky

• Level 1 Member
Re: stream music to 2 rooms
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »

After some testing it appears the RCA audio out IS active even when the digital (optical) out is in use, so this should work for me.

I'm going to try this product: http://hd.engadget.com/2008/03/17/look-mom-no-wires-audioengine-aw1-wireless-audio-adapter-revie/

You plug it into USB for power (into the DSM-750), then use the RCA out (to a stereo mini-jack adapter).  It transmits the audio over 802.11 (using a proprietary protocol).  The receiver then will plug into an integrated amp that I will have hooked up to a pair of bookshelf speakers in another room.

I will post my results when I order it and get it setup.

One more little complaint at D-Link though:  I continue to have problems where the unit occasionally locks up, requires a reset and decides to "forget" all its settings.  Which means it no longer sends signal on the HDMI and I have to re-hook up component cables and "setup" the video-output from scratch.  VERY annoying!

C'mon D-Link.  Can we get some of these minor annoyances fixed?  This is a good product that could be "great" if it were more reliable and consistent.   I'm not asking for new features, but can you at least fix the broken ones?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:57:34 PM by schmecky »

discokachina

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:47 AM »

Hi Schmecky, Did you try the AW1 and did you get good results? I am trying one but it is causing the transfer rate from my DIR-655 router to drop to around 54mbps from the high 200s:( Any suggestions on getting the AW1 to work without affecting my DIR-655 would be appreciated. 

schmecky

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:28:33 PM »

the audioengine aw1 is working fine, however I only use my wireless to get on the network from my laptop/phones/tablets (the 750 and rest of my workstations are physically cabled with CAT 5e).

Did you reach out to the AW1 Manufacturer for support?  I thought it was supposed to be on a proprietary protocol in order to not interfere with 802.11 wireless ethernet...