• April 26, 2024, 03:59:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it...dead?  (Read 12975 times)

ger630

• Level 1 Member
Re: Is it...dead?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »

Hello,

I know this is an older thread but I am having the same issues with my unit.  LEDs glow dimly but go out, unit will not power up, tried a new power supply and same issue.  Looked on the main board but I see nothing out of the ordinary, nothing bulging or leaking, no shorts.  Does anyone have any idea what may be the issue?  TIA

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 06:28:11 AM »

When you say you tried a new power unit was it rated at 12v@3A and 5v@3A?

If the new power supply fits the specifications the next thing to do is to mark each drive with the slot it is in (L / R) and then remove the disks (the marking is to ensure they go back in the slot they were removed from).

With the disks removed power up the unit.  What is the state of the power LED and the network LEDs?  Is the fan running?

We have seen one instance of a fan failing with a short circuit that caused the 5v rail to power down which made the unit not work.  I am not saying it the cause of your problem but the LEDs get their power from the 5v rail as does most of the electronics (main board and drives, the 12v is mainly for the drives).

ger630

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 08:28:55 AM »

Hello, thanks for replying.

It is a new power supply by the same manufacturer with same specs, exactly the same.

Disks removed same issue occur exactly the same.

Fan does not power up but it is a replacement fan that was installed a year ago.

Drives never power up at all.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »

OK, now comes the hard part you are going to have to take it apart and get the volt meter out and do some measuring.  The problem with that is I can't tell you where to measure voltages until I get into the office on Monday - I just don't keep that information in my head.

There is another thing you should look for when you get the unit apart and that is dry solder joints.  Using a good magnifying glass look at the solder of the joints on things like the power socket, the sockets for the disk mounting daughter boards and the disk sockets on those boards themselves.

Also check that the ICs and processor are not getting too hot (a finger is a wonderful temperature probe).  Check that fan as well just in case.

ger630

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »

Will do, no rush either and you are a giant fountain of great information, been reading through some of the other threads and you are a great help to the community!

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »

Just a quick update while I wait for a disk re-imaging to complete - the borg struck one of our clients over the weekend.

I have not be into the office yet but I would ask you to check the voltage at the socket when you get the unit apart and then check the voltage at the LEDs.  This should give some indication of possible main board problems. 
Pages: 1 [2]