• April 23, 2024, 06:58:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Speed Issue  (Read 12675 times)

mga911

Speed Issue
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »

I have Charter 10mbps service and a charter modem (not modem/router) connected directly to my DIR-825.  I notice that my connection speed seems to be slower than normal at times.  I test my speed using speedtest.net via a computer wired to the router.  For example, today I tested it and it was at about 6.3 mbps so then I unplugged the power only to my DIR-825 and tried again.  I came in at 10 mbps.  Could the DIR-825 be slowing me down?

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
Re: Speed Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:21:43 AM »

I have Charter 10mbps service and a charter modem (not modem/router) connected directly to my DIR-825.  I notice that my connection speed seems to be slower than normal at times.  I test my speed using speedtest.net via a computer wired to the router.  For example, today I tested it and it was at about 6.3 mbps so then I unplugged the power only to my DIR-825 and tried again.  I came in at 10 mbps.  Could the DIR-825 be slowing me down?

Speed tests are never all that accurate. They act as a mere generalization.

the reset suggests that it may have been the QoS engine. I think the QoS engine might have stepped in and alleviated some of that bandwidth to other sources. VoIP, online games etc.. Did you have anything running during your speed test?
The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.

Japhy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:28:30 AM »

Very similar issue here with the DIR655.  I have 5MB service that runs at about 2MB through the router.

mga911

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »

Speed tests are never all that accurate. They act as a mere generalization.

the reset suggests that it may have been the QoS engine. I think the QoS engine might have stepped in and alleviated some of that bandwidth to other sources. VoIP, online games etc.. Did you have anything running during your speed test?

No, I didn't have anything running.  I'm not using the QoS engine so I'm going to turn it off and see if that helps.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks, by the way.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »

That sounds more like a auto negotiation issue with the modem and the router.

Also Speakeasy.net is WAY accurate. Right down to the kilobit.

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »

Also Speakeasy.net is WAY accurate. Right down to the kilobit.

In a perfect world. Sure. however, in ours no.

Take a look...

http://www.dslreports.com/speed

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 10:51:02 AM »

In a perfect world. Sure. however, in ours no.

Take a look...

http://www.dslreports.com/speed

Ok, did you see the date that, that was written? 2000? speakeasy.net speed test is 99% accurate. I can prove it to you if you like.

Wal_

• Product Managment
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Ok, did you see the date that, that was written? 2000? speakeasy.net speed test is 99% accurate. I can prove it to you if you like.

but most of it remains accurate. It is preserved for posterity

We can go back and fourth.

Granted, technology has improved, providers have gotten better, etc.

relying on a speed test result to conclude a network issue is great, but there are several factors that constitute to incorrect readings.

for instance, like you said
That sounds more like a auto negotiation issue with the modem and the router.

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »

;D use iPerf.exe and setup two end points on each side and get a accurate test.

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

Bourbon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »

Same problem here with a Motorola modem and 655.  Download speeds through modem are consistantly in the 42,000 range, but drop to 22,000 when connected through the 655.  What exactly is this auto negotiation issue between the router and modem Lycan spoke of, and is there anything you can do to fix it?  Thanks in advance.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »

Try locking the WAN port speed to 10Mbps.

curriertech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 01:10:02 PM »

I had similar issues and turning QOS off helped quite a bit.

Defender3

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »

I had similar issues with my DIR-825 that were corrected with a firmware upgrade.  I have Comcast broadband and was getting 12563kbs down and 373kbs up when using the router.  Connecting direct to the cable modem gave me 19012kbs down and 2104kbs up.  Long story short, my firmware (V1) was being considered as current in the router, but a newer version (1.1) was available on the D-Link support site.  I exported my settings, downloaded the firmware upgrade, upgraded, rebooted, reloaded the settings and rebooted again.  The tests (speakeasy) now showed, using the router, as getting 21366kbs down and 2515kbs up.  I also tried disabling QOS, but the results didn't seem to be too beneficial:  20939kbs down and 2562kbs up.  FWIW.