• April 19, 2024, 09:17:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware downgrade  (Read 8105 times)

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
Firmware downgrade
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »

Was just told by tech support that the firmware in the DNS-343 cannot be downgraded.  This is the explanation they offered as to why 1.01 is nowhere to be found on the support site.  Any truth to this?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
Re: Firmware downgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »

Might be ... there were significant enhancements done as firmware 1.02.  I could see some of those enhancements causing adverse effects on a downgrade if a significant number of changes to settings files, etc.

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to retain settings, etc., just thought it odd that prior versions for the 323 are available for download, but not the 343.  Someone posted in another thread that he has a copy of 1.01, so evidently it exists.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3062.0

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »

Just had a quick look at ftp.dlink.com to see if it might be posted there ... no luck.

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »

Good thought.... thanks for that.  Hopeful we will get a definitive answer from ECF or DLM.  I sensed that tech support's primary objective was to get me out of their hair...  ::)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »

The shipping firmware and 1.01 is not available I am very sorry. The shipping firmware had some issues and we do not want customers with DNS-343 units with these problems and 1.01 I'M guessing wasnt much better. Pretty simple You dont want that firmware on your unit so we removed so that customer do not have such problems.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

"Not available" meaning you refuse to make prior versions available to your customers? 

I purchased a brand new DNS-343 in mid December that shipped with 1.01.  As 1.02 wasn't available until late September 2008 I didn't consider it at all unusual that mine shipped with 1.01. 

In early January I made the huge mistake of updating my unit to 1.02 (my bad for thinking ADS support actually worked!).  Come to find 1.02 has other issues as well (as I have relayed via threads).  In short, I experience lock-ups and other quirky behavior with 1.02 that did not occur with 1.01.  While 1.01 may not have been "much better" (as you say) than 1.00, it was certainly better than 1.02, at least for me.

It's no secret that there is issues with every version of firmware for this device.  As such, what's the harm in D-Link making every version available it's customers, despite their particular quirks?  As with any device, some firmware versions may work better for some end-users than others. 

To not provide your customers with a downgrade path to a currently shipping version is truly ridiculous!!

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:09 AM »

"Not available" meaning you refuse to make prior versions available to your customers? 

I purchased a brand new DNS-343 in mid December that shipped with 1.01.  As 1.02 wasn't available until late September 2008 I didn't consider it at all unusual that mine shipped with 1.01. 

In early January I made the huge mistake of updating my unit to 1.02 (my bad for thinking ADS support actually worked!).  Come to find 1.02 has other issues as well (as I have relayed via threads).  In short, I experience lock-ups and other quirky behavior with 1.02 that did not occur with 1.01.  While 1.01 may not have been "much better" (as you say) than 1.00, it was certainly better than 1.02, at least for me.

It's no secret that there is issues with every version of firmware for this device.  As such, what's the harm in D-Link making every version available it's customers, despite their particular quirks?  As with any device, some firmware versions may work better for some end-users than others. 

To not provide your customers with a downgrade path to a currently shipping version is truly ridiculous!!

http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/

Select DNS > Select 343

1.00, 1.01. 1.02, anything you like :).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:03:07 PM by D-Link Multimedia »

mk1184

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

I'm incredulous that it has taken me three weeks of dead-end phone calls and much grousing on this forum to obtain this basic information, but again:

THANK YOU.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »

You're welcome. Not sure why my quotes got all messed up hah. Fixed.