• April 23, 2024, 11:50:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Trouble with Wired 2nd computer  (Read 1952 times)

likethoreau

• Level 1 Member
Trouble with Wired 2nd computer
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:38:08 AM »

First off my apologies if this is a simple problem or something already covered, but I was unable to find any relevant topics in this forum. Also, fair warning- Im not the most tech savvy person.

Ive had my d link dir 655 network setup for a while with absolutely no problems until now. I recently got a desktop with no built in wifi and have been attempting to connect it to the internet by wiring it to the LAN port. For whatever reason its connected but doesnt register on the router or my computer.

I tried running the setup wizard but got spooked when it seemed as though it was going to disable to network originally setup.

I was curious if there was some missing step I have overlooked, or link to a source that may help. thanks

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Trouble with Wired 2nd computer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »

Be sure to set the networking properties of the 2nd PC to auto obtain. Make sure it doesn't already have a static IP address that may have been put in by someone.

After you connect the PC to the router. Log in to the routers web page and review Setup/Networking. It should appear under the Number of Dynamic Clients list. Might restart the router to see if it picks up the new PC. It should. You can check this also under Status/Device Info/Lan Computers section. Should be an entry here. Look at the Ip status that you get on the PC and confirm it appears in this section on the router.

Keep us posted.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: Trouble with Wired 2nd computer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »

First off my apologies if this is a simple problem or something already covered, but I was unable to find any relevant topics in this forum. Also, fair warning- Im not the most tech savvy person.

Ive had my d link dir 655 network setup for a while with absolutely no problems until now. I recently got a desktop with no built in wifi and have been attempting to connect it to the internet by wiring it to the LAN port. For whatever reason its connected but doesnt register on the router or my computer.

I tried running the setup wizard but got spooked when it seemed as though it was going to disable to network originally setup.

I was curious if there was some missing step I have overlooked, or link to a source that may help. thanks

Hi likethoreau,

Make sure that your Onboard Lan is Enabled in Computer BIOS. Make sure that you installed its drivers and Device Manager states that it is working fine.

Make sure that the Network Filter allows your Connection on the Router.

You don't need to run the Network Wizard. Since it isn't Wireless, you don't need to know the same things that a Wireless Computer and Adapter needs to know. The Router will assign your Computer an Internal IP Address to allow it to connect to the Router.

Make sure that the Cable connecting it to the Router, is a Cat-5e or Cat-6.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10