• April 15, 2024, 11:46:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Playstation 3 Cannot Access Files on DNS-323  (Read 10744 times)

DMD312

Playstation 3 Cannot Access Files on DNS-323
« on: October 08, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »

I have searched the forum and still cannot find a solution to my problem.  I have a PS3 with firmware 2.42 and a DNS-323 with 1.05 firmware.  The PS3 sees the DNS on the network but I get a DLNA 2114 protocol error.  Still, I can click through to the DNS under the "music" and other media tabs in the PS3.  However, when it opens up the DNS, the PS3 says there are no files.

On my DNS, I have 2 folders: music and photos.  Within each folder are additional folders containing the individual music and photo files.  The PS3 cannot see these folders or the media files.

I have read many threads here and elsewhere about accessing media files on the DNS through the PS3.  However, all of the "success stories" involve installing other server software and I am not interested in doing that.  Is there some easy solution to my problem that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: Playstation 3 Cannot Access Files on DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »

The DNS-323 and the PS3 are both using UPNP AV to transfer files. Although you can see the files on your DNS-323 that does not mean that they have been added to the UPNP AV server on the DNS-323. Have you already selected the folder to share with your media? If so, Have you clicked the REFRESH button at the top in order to build your UPNP AV server index file? Once you have selected your media folder and clicked refresh you should be able to access the files from your PS3 media player. Also a side note PS3 seperates the media into different content types music/photo/video. Make sure when you are navigating the music folder on your DNS-323 that you are also under the Music section of your PS3.

DMD312

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »

Thanks for the quick response!  Since the only things on the 323 are media files, I selected "root" and hit refresh.  The PS3 now sees the media folders.  However, when I open some (but not all) of the music and photo files, I get DLNA 2101 and 2103 errors and a statement that there is nothing in those files (when there clearly is).  Also, when opening photo files, I sometimes get thumbnails and sometimes I don't.  Note that I only open music folders when under the PS3's music tab, and photo files under the photo tab.

It seems like I am at least on the right track here, but the persistent errors make it tough to enjoy the 323 through the PS3.  Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sherlock

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:04:24 AM »

Had the same problems before but I saw a post with a suggested a directory structure for the 323.  Try this:

1.  Create this directory structure in your DNS-323

/Media/UpnpShared/Music
/Media/UpnpShared/Video
/Media/UpnpShared/Photo

2.  Place all your music, video and photos in the appropriate folders
3.  In the UPnP settings of your 323, do not check root.  Instead browse and select /Media.

Power cycle your PS3 and check if it sees the files now.

DMD312

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:54:57 AM »

OK, so I followed those instructions and refreshed the DNS-323 server.  The PS3 would not even recognize the DNS-323.  So, instead of pointing the DNS to root or /Media, I pointed it to /Media/UpnpShared.  The PS3 then "saw" the DNS and I could look at the file structure.  However, when I went into album folders it said that there were no files or tracks in there.  Also, I was getting DLNA 2101 errors.  I power cycled both the PS3 and the DNS.  Now, the PS3 will not even recognize the DNS.  I get the feeling that I am missing an "obvious" solution here, but cannot figure it out.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:59:38 AM »

I am gettign the same problem

I was running a 320gb drive no problem and the ps3 saw the directory structure

then I put 2 x 1.5tb drives in copied the 320gb using UBUTA linex to read the 320 drive

now PS3 sees the  media player but doesnt show all/any of the directories or files.

I have done a reformat and recopy of the files over to the dns as well with not help
and yes done the refresh, restart power cycle everything

do I need to enable the telenet program?
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
Why don't you update your DNS-323's firmware?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 07:31:50 AM »

The current firmware code is 1.06.  You said you have 1.05. 

Try visitng http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DNS-323 and update your code.

In 1.06, D-Link added the UPNP AV profile and it helped compatibility out tremendously.  I have a new PS3 from Christmas and had the same kind of trouble you were experiencing until the update.

Where I used to get the 2110 protocol errors, I now have music, photos, and movies working.  On a side note if you plan on streaming video, don't use the built-in wireless, it's useless.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:28 AM »

im not sure if you mean me I have 1.06 firmware installed

I just swaped my old 320gb drive that worked in the DNS 323 and it worked fine with my PS3

so maybe this has something to do with the fact that i have  2 x 1.5tb seagate drives

I dont think its the drives as they formated fine but not sure how to tell, as well their firmware of the drive is CC which is latest

i wonder if it has more to do with where the dns is puting the media index file, as I think that is the problem.

I can see and play all files through my PC looking at the DNS323 directory structure no problem.

im not sure what else to do but I cants see anyfiles with my ps3
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

Assasin110

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:16:22 AM »

What firmware is everyone running on the PS3? Make sure you've got the latest.
PS3 Firmware 2.6 was recently released.
Firefox 3.0.5
DNS-323 Firmware 1.06
2 Seagate 500GB HDD's
16GB iPhone 3G (White)
Alienware M15X
iTunes 8.0
Metal Gear Solid Edition PS3 80gb

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:02 AM »

yes, 2.6 ps3 1.06 dns-323
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »

im not sure if you mean me I have 1.06 firmware installed

no, was referring to DMD312.  His first post says he has 1.05 firmware.  I'd really suggest 1.06 before banging his head against the wall.

Come to think of it, I upgraded from 2.53 to 2.6 and now can no longer play .m4a files via UPnP.  MP3 and MP4 (video) and AVI still work.

edit:  After thinking real hard on this one i'm not sure if .m4a ever worked over UPnP.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:48:38 AM by ttmcmurry »

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »

Ok, I got this to work, I dont know exactly what I did but here is a recap of the changes I made

1. Set the DNS to defaults (do it twice)
2. Point to MEDIA directory
3. Add a mp3 file to the media directory so there was 1 file in the root directory

and it works, sees sub directories and all files.

Another thing I did is turn the idle time to 30 minutes POWER MANAGEMENT

clearly there is a problem with this as I had gone through this routine a couple of times and it didn't work, so I think adding the media file to the root directory helped and the power managment from 5 min to 30 min helped it out
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:52:55 PM by coxwain »
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware