• March 28, 2024, 01:27:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why is my night vision grainy? No so on even cheaper models (Easy fix I assume)  (Read 12318 times)

taymag

• Level 3 Member

I know this is just a settings problem since my older/cheaper dlink cameras have a better picture so I guess I am just wondering what settings would be causing this? Camera is crystal clear in the day time, it just does this at night

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member

Change to low noise in the camera f/w

taymag

• Level 3 Member

Low noise gets the camera super dark. Will messing with the "Denoise" dropdown push me in the "Low_noise" direction?

taymag

• Level 3 Member

Any admins have a suggestion here? The night vision quality of this camera isn't even half as good as my DCS-932L which was 1/3 of the price. I went through some of the options but nothing seems to be working

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member

Any admins have a suggestion here? The night vision quality of this camera isn't even half as good as my DCS-932L which was 1/3 of the price. I went through some of the options but nothing seems to be working

This camera has only one infrared LED illuminator, so its night vision is not very good.  The image you posted is typical.  The DCS-932 you mention has four LEDs, so naturally it does have better night vision.  If you want a better night image from your 2330L, you will need to add an external LED illuminator.

taymag

• Level 3 Member

I feel like it would be dim/dark from low IR but not grainy like that. That looks like low quality but the camera is clearly twice as good of quality

cmontyburns

• Level 3 Member

I feel like it would be dim/dark from low IR but not grainy like that. That looks like low quality but the camera is clearly twice as good of quality

In low light, cameras run more power through their sensors to increase sensitivity in hopes of capturing an image.  That causes digital noise, the "static" you see in the image you posted.  You can fiddle with settings to smooth out the noise somewhat, but that will obliterate detail.  Again, I'm afraid you will need to add an external LED lamp to get a better nighttime image.  Fortunately these are cheap.

taymag

• Level 3 Member

Ive done it on my cheaper cameras to avoid reflection from the camera being behind a window. Oh well ill try it on this one too. Thanks!

leviny

• Level 2 Member

Easy fix:
Setup / image setup:
Exposure mode: customize1 (or 2 or 3)
Max gain 0-12 (the lower the better)
Shutter: min 1/10000, max 1/30
Denoise: the less the better
Brightness: as needed

Longer max shutter speed allows more light in, so the best is 1/8th of a second, but I'm using 1/30th of a second in order to get 30 frames per second in video. Video still looks ok at 8 frames per second, so use longer than 1/30 for even less grain if needed. This will allow you to reduce the gain. Gain combined with faster shutter speed is what causes graininess. Photography 101.

Enjoy

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:40:54 PM by leviny »