• April 19, 2024, 12:39:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Drive Failure on DNS-343  (Read 5467 times)

oss001

• Level 1 Member
Drive Failure on DNS-343
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »

I just had a drive go down on my DNS-343 and want to make sure that I do the replacement correctly because I don't have a means to back it up.  If I lose everything, I start over...

I have a DNS-343 running a raid 5 with 4 2tb Seagate hard drives.  My firmware version is 1.03.

Yesterday I noticed that my volume had degraded.  I can still access my files via the network but obviously a drive is bad.  I logged into the device, to Status -> Hard Drive Info and it lists 3 hard drives instead of 4.  These hard drives are listed under slots 1, 2 and 3, and all show normal.

So what I am getting from this is that the HD in slot 4 has had a complete failure and is not showing.  (Instructions say bad drive should be listed, and show a status of Abnormal).  My plan is to shutdown, replace drive 4, restart, login and let the process run.  I guess I am a little worried, because I am questioning if it is slot 4 that is the failed drive, or if its listing drives in sequential order.  Does it sound like I am right with the drive in slot 4 having a complete failure?

Sorry for the newbie question, first time this has happened and I want to make sure I don't lose my data...

oss001

• Level 1 Member
Re: Drive Failure on DNS-343
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »

Well after reading this article http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=14053.0 I am not so sure I need a new drive.  I am now thinking I am joined the ranks of people having unfixable errors with this unit.  I got this drive to protect my data, but I think I should have checked the reviews.  Hopefully there is a simple solution, but I am not going to wait long.  With one drive down now on a raid 5 I am living on borrowed time.  I am already researching Raid Cards...

oss001

• Level 1 Member
Re: Drive Failure on DNS-343
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »

Read an article on the system losing a drive after a reboot, and that it needs a cold restart.  Shutdown the unit from the office, restarted when I got home.  4th drive is now recognized and running properly again, that was all that was needed thankfully...