• April 24, 2024, 03:06:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Where does Access Control log to?  (Read 14924 times)

dcormier

• Level 1 Member
Where does Access Control log to?
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:38:10 PM »

I've set up access control for logging only. The trouble is, I don't see where it's logging to. The only logs I've found are the syslogs and those under Status (which seems to just be a viewer for the syslogs). Neither of those log any information regarding access control. How is this supposed to work?

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: Where does Access Control log to?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »

Access Control
The Access Control section allows you to control access in and out of devices on your network. Use this feature as Parental Controls to only grant access to approved sites, limit web access based on time or dates, and/or block access from applications such as peer-to-peer utilities or games.

Enable
By default, the Access Control feature is disabled. If you need Access Control, check this option.
Note: When Access Control is disabled, every device on the LAN has unrestricted access to the Internet. However, if you enable Access Control, Internet access is restricted for those devices that have an Access Control Policy configured for them. All other devices have unrestricted access to the Internet.

Policy Wizard
The Policy Wizard guides you through the steps of defining each access control policy. A policy is the "Who, What, When, and How" of access control -- whose computer will be affected by the control, what internet addresses are controlled, when will the control be in effect, and how is the control implemented. You can define multiple policies. The Policy Wizard starts when you click the button below and also when you edit an existing policy.
Add Policy
Click this button to start creating a new access control policy.
Policy Table
This section shows the currently defined access control policies. A policy can be changed by clicking the Edit icon, or deleted by clicking the Delete icon. When you click the Edit icon, the Policy Wizard starts and guides you through the process of changing a policy. You can enable or disable specific policies in the list by clicking the "Enable" checkbox.

I see what your talking about with the " Policy Table" having a checked box as logged, however to my knowlage there is no seprate logging for Access control. Maybe be just a twist in words or understanding that the lan ip has been you assigned has been logged with your settings.

dcormier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

Thanks. I actually did read the documentation before posting this. It wasn't helpful at all. Nowhere in there does it even mention logging.

Since this still hasn't been answered satisfactorily, I again ask: Where does Access Control log to?

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »

Just making a guess here, but maybe the logging is only availible when you export the logs to a syslog server.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »

It logs  to the normal Status/Log site of the router menu and to the syslogserver if set.

Did you really wait 5 days for an answer instead of setting up an easy rule to see where the log messages will be displayed ? (It needed less than 5 minutes)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:01:44 AM by lizzi555 »

dcormier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:44:31 AM »

No, I didn't wait 5 days. I tried before posted this. I set up a rule and checked the logs on the built-in log viewer and through a syslog server (which is how I decided that they just give access to the same set of logs) and didn't see anything regarding the access control rule I set up. I fiddled around a bit and decided the logging didn't work (but blocking the site entirely sure did). I'll have to try again tomorrow, since I'm probably not going to get a chance this evening.

dcormier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »

This is definitely not working for me. I've gone through the access control policy wizard and set up a policy to always log access from a specific machine, but no logs are generated when that machine accesses anything.

krymat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

I've found Access Control doesn't work at all with DNS Relay disabled.

dcormier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »

I've found Access Control doesn't work at all with DNS Relay disabled.

That's what it was. I disabled that because if I enable it my router becomes useless every few days.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »

Good to know. I've DNS-Relay enabled all the time.
But strange behavior of the DIR. it shouldn't matter in any way whether DNS-Relay or not.

dcormier

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:28:31 AM »

Good to know. I've DNS-Relay enabled all the time.
But strange behavior of the DIR. it shouldn't matter in any way whether DNS-Relay or not.

Yes, I agree. I found out that was my problem here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=6206.0

Krinolin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »

Thanks for advice, I tried LoginTrap. I liked it))

bluenote

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »

Did you really wait 5 days for an answer instead of setting up an easy rule to see where the log messages will be displayed ? (It needed less than 5 minutes)

Seems a bit harsh now, doesn't it.

Blessmac

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »

Logon Sentry is a very nice program that monitor login attempts.  ;D