• March 19, 2024, 12:00:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 and SDD?  (Read 2871 times)

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
DNS-323 and SDD?
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »

I still have my DNS-323 with two 500GB spinners in them. I'm looking to upgrade the space to two 1TB SDD drives, but not sure if the DNS-323 supports that. Perhaps it's best to move on from the DNS-323 - it's quite old now :)

If not the DNS-323, what would you recommend?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: DNS-323 and SDD?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »

Forget it!

There is no way that SSDs will be cost effective in a small NAS - the network connection is the bottle neck.  SSDs are excellent for use in direct access devices, computers, notebooks and such but that speed does not translate over a network.

Even in large data centres SSDs are only used in servers and some NAS boxes that are on a 10 Gigabit fibre network and even then the SSDs are loafing along.

If you are looking for speed you need to upgrade your network to at least 1 Gigabit for everything including the router.

philphil61

• Level 3 Member
Re: DNS-323 and SDD?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:11:39 PM »

Have to agree with Ivan above - unless you had the 2 1TB SSD's just sitting around doing nothing and just needed the extra storage

But to physically go out a buy new - there's no benefit except the reduction in the drive dying.