• March 28, 2024, 01:16:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Just hooked up a DIR-655 to a DWA-142 (USB Adapter) (help needed)  (Read 8036 times)

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
Just hooked up a DIR-655 to a DWA-142 (USB Adapter) (help needed)
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:58:11 PM »

We are setting up a network to share a Cox cable internet network. The maximum speed when hooked directly to the modem should be around 7000 kpbs.

I will first give the architecture of the network.  Currently, a desktop is plugged into the router.  Another desktop using the DWA-142 adapter is in a room about 20 feet from the router.  The connection to the router is going through 1 wall, sometimes 2 when the door is closed.   In the near future we will have also a laptop accessing the network.  That laptop will be in a room next to the room with the router about 25 feet away through one wall.

I did a speed test for the computer hooked up directly to the router.

According to the test, the connection seems about up to speed.  I might have to do a test when hooked directly to the modem.

On the desktop with the DWA-142 the pages seems to loading OK, but my speed tests are poor to say the least.  Below is one test.

My tests are a lot slower than others who took the same test.  I am guessing there is a lot I can do to increase the speed.

> I believe I am using version 1.1 of the drivers for the router.  How can I check that?  What version should I upgrade to?  The latest on the D-Link site is 1.05.  I believe I read somewhere that the latest version of the firmware doesn't give the fastest speed ?  Can anyone confirm this?

> There is also an updated version of the driver for the DWA-142?  Should I upgrade that as well?

> The sleeve for the CD that came with the router said I should insert the CD in every every computer that will be accessing the network.  Is there something I need to install from the CD on every computer?  The manual doesn't say anything about it.

> My USB card is picking up another wireless connection. Could that effect the speed of the connection to my router?  If it is, is there anything I can do about it?

> The manual for the router says cordless phones with 2.4 ghz frequencies can give interference and cause a slower connection. We have 2 off these phones in the home that use that frequency. One is about 40 feet away through 2 walls. The other is about 20 feet away through a wall.
Could these phone be slowing down the connection?

>  Is there anything I can change with the settings on either the USB adapter or router to improve the speed?

>  When I did the speed test, it said I was connected to the domain "cox.net".  Other people in my area with faster speeds are hooked up to "sd.sd.cox.net".  Would it possible make the connection faster if I changed to that domain?  Is it possible to do so?

> The laptop has an 802.11 g/b network card installed.  Will that connect to the DIR-655 at a good speed?  Will it be a lot faster if I installed a DWA-643 (Xtreme N ExpressCard)?  If I use the 802.11 g/b card, will it slow the connection for the other 2 computers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 03:33:36 PM by kevinla »

JHK

• Level 3 Member
Re: Just hooked up a DIR-655 to a DWA-142 (USB Adapter) (help needed)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »

Before we do anything else, we would like to start with clarifying the current firmware version on the DIR-655 by looking at the Status tab from the router configuration page. Also try using the latest driver for the DWA-142, which is available from the support website. Using the 2.4GHz cordless phones or any wireless products such as a ceiling fans, lights, or home security systems, the wireless connection will degrade dramatically or drop completely. To avoid the interference, change the channel or try changing the Fragmentation to 1900 and the Beacon Period to 90. Also list the changes in the DIR-655's configuration which you have already been tried. This would ensure that any type of suggestions are not redundant. As per its specification, the DWA-142 can enable Draft 802.11n wireless connectivity, which concludes that your laptop with the 802.11 g/b network card will be far slower than in draft 802.11n. About the domain, either tracert your network or contact your ISP to find out if your request can be granted. About the DWA-643 expresscard, this interface provides up to 236% faster performance and better reliability than the legacy cardbus interface, which means it is a beneficial and salutary option.
Life is cool! :)

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 05:30:11 PM »

Also try using the latest driver for the DWA-142, which is available from the support website. Using the 2.4GHz cordless phones or any wireless products such as a ceiling fans, lights, or home security systems, the wireless connection will degrade dramatically or drop completely.

> The latest driver for the DWA-142 is beta.  Should I wait for the final version?  The description of the latest driver says : Added WPS Function.  Is there anything else new?

> Is there any way to tell if I the two 2.4 Ghz phone are causing issues with the router?  Are the two phones close enough to the router to cause problems?  One is about 40 feet away through 2 walls. The other is about 20 feet away through a wall.

Kevin

AWDL

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »

On the phone question:
Back in the day, people unplugged the base station and turned off/ pulled batteries from handsets to see if the number of client side signal bars when up or connection could be established. I've seen phones in the same room not interfering and I have seen phones 2 rooms apart interfering so YMMV, literally.
Meanest person you know

JHK

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »

> The latest driver for the DWA-142 is beta.  Should I wait for the final version?  The description of the latest driver says : Added WPS Function.  Is there anything else new?

There is no time frame at this point, but will be posted and informed to the public through the support website when this takes place. Check the support website frequently for the availability.
Life is cool! :)

jupiter

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »

If you want to find out where your Bottle neck is on your network use the PATHPING [IPADDRESS] command

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:59:05 PM by We Are Many »

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:33:56 PM »

If you want to find out where your Bottle neck is on your network use the PATHPING [IPADDRESS] command

How do I interpret the results?

IS

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 09:30:14 AM »

Compare the times listed in ms, that will tell you how long it took to get a response back from that device.

However this can be misleading of you have a router that delays responding to a ICMP packet with TTL of 0 (which is how pathping works).  Before I hit the naysayers out there, your absolutely correct this is unusual and not likely but it is one example of a possible hangup.

Most of this methods results are going to be for routers WAY outside your sphere of influence.  In our example (which due to our large internal infrastructure is more meaningful than is likely to be the case in your experience) you will see that the lines blocked off in green are the hops that we have control over.  You will probably see only 1 route within your sphere of influence(i.e. your router).
non progredi est regredi