• April 19, 2024, 01:58:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS930L looses wireless connectivity after 5 minutes  (Read 15058 times)

fmongeau

• Level 1 Member
DCS930L looses wireless connectivity after 5 minutes
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:55 PM »

Newly purchased DSC-930L connected to DIR-625. Firmware is 1.0 for DCS-930L and A1-1.09 for DIR-625.
Camera works fine when connected with cable. Wireless enabled, fixed IP address.
Unplug cable and camera still works fine for a while: can access the view page and view picture that does change. F5 refreshes page no problems. After a while (about 5 minutes) web page no longer reachable by browser. Reconnect cable and works fine, unplug and repeat the cycle same thing happens.
Also tried: unplug ethernet cable, unplug power cable, wait 10 seconds, connect power cable, try to browse to camera - cannot reach camera.

Why does it looses connectivity after a while? How can I fix this?
Thanks

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
Re: DCS930L looses wireless connectivity after 5 minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:01:01 AM »

Does the power light stay green on the camera?

On your router there may be a place to see wireless devices connected.  Does it appear in this list at all?  Does it disappear from the list when once you loose access to the camera?

fmongeau

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:06:23 PM »

Thank you for your help.

Yes the light stays green and flashes nominally.
Yes the router still shows the wireless camera as connected. It does not disappear from the list.

On further observation, it seems that the web access is available as long as I stay in the browser (IE9). If I exit the browser and go back it no longer can reach the camera. I tried both the standard 80 port and the 800 port.

Ping can not longer reach the camera either. I tried both enabling and disabling UPnP and UPnP port forwarding in the camera (I saw that it helped someone else in another thread): no changes.

To further troubleshoot I set up FTP copy from the camera, 1 frame every 5 seconds. It still works. So apparently it is the web access to the camera that seems to be not working. Could this be a setup issue in the router?

Thanks

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »

What browser are you using and are you using activex or Java? 

My setup is probably different than yours - I go directly (more or less) to the camera via a http request.  I don't use the dlink server.  I have found that under IE using activex, the video freezes or disappears and I need to usually refresh the page, or sometimes, restart the browser.  When I use Firefox V4 with Java, I don't have that problem.  Unfortunately I haven't found what causes that behavior.

My suggestion is to try a different browser and display technology and see if that helps. In the mean time, I am poking at trying to find the cause, but I would'nt hold my breath....
John

fmongeau

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »

Thanks for your help.

As I indicated the browser is IE9. It works flawlessly with a cable.
I tried both Java and ActiveX; both work fine with a cable.
I do not use the dlink server either. I http to the hard-coded ip address on the local lan.

On further investigation: I can access the camera fine from outside the LAN (ie from the internet, thru the browser, via the router/firewall with port redirection). So now I can use the camera, I just need to access it from outside the lan (I can live with that); I don't understand why I can't access it from inside the lan. It must be some routing issue inside the lan or in the router. I'm no expert. If someone has a suggestion I wouldn't mind to learn about these routing issues.

Thanks all.

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »

Seems like a strange issue.  I would take the camera to another network (maybe a friends house) and see if the issue is the same on a different network (different router, different computer).

That will give you an idea if it's an issue with the camera or the network.

DBones

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »

Wow, someone with the same issue I am having.

I have the same exact problem, as long as I was connected the video stream continues uninterrupted.  But I can not make new connections to the cam.  I can still ping the camera successfully.

I went back and forth with D-Link support for some time over this, eventually they RMA'd it and I got my new camera.  New camera ran fine for about a month, then when I switched it to use a static IP address it would only stay up for a few days (note: I setup the original camera with a static ip on the first day)  So now I'm pretty sure it has to do with using a static IP versus dhcp from this camera.

What I'm trying now is:
1) In my cisco router there is an option for DHCP Reservations
2) Type in the camera's name "DCS-930L" and its MAC address and pick an IP address for it.
3) Put camera in DHCP mode

Now the camera should ask DHCP server for an IP and the DHCP server should always issue the same static IP.  Hopefully this will fix the issue of the disappearing camera, will have to wait a few days to see though.  Will inform.

DBones

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:48:02 PM »

Well, so far so good.  Its been 4 days an the camera hasn't gone down yet.  Usually it will go down anywhere from 3 - 5 days, so I'm not through this yet.  One night I couldn't connect to it, but when I woke up in the morning it was working again, not sure what that was about.

DBones

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 05:06:03 PM »

Just went down this morning.  Was working fine last night, woke up this morning and I can't connect to the camera anymore.  Oh well, guess it doesn't have to do with dhcp vs static ip.

What a piece man.  Some "security" camera, won't stay up longer then 7 days.  Come one D-Link, fix the firmware, something has got to be wrong with it.  I have plenty of other wireless devices that run just fine on my network.

DBones

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »

weird....it just came back up.  so to recap: was working last night when I checked around 10pm.  Wasn't working this morning at around 9:30am.  Is working again at 6:45pm.

I should note, I am actually running two dhcp servers on my lan, but the ip address ranges they serve are mutually exclusive.  The main one serves .210 - .254, while the second server serves .200 - .209.  I believe this setup should be fine, none of the other hard lines or wireless computers have any network problems.

Tarv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:18 AM »

Since the dual DHCP setup is non-standard, why not try setting static IP on the camera to eliminate that?

GliderPro

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:05:01 AM »

Are there any instructions how to access the camera without mydlink?  I've seen the listing below and another mentioning FTP to get to it, but I'm not sure of the steps needed.

I lost connection after prompted to do the firmware upgrade (several states away, so no can do), have confirmed router and modem connectivity, but cannot get anything other than camera offline.  I only have the router, modem, and camera on the network at the remote location and use the wireless N for camera to router connection.

Interestingly, mydlink crashes IE ver 9 (just upgraded) but I can get to the camera offline from Firefox 4 and Android phone app.

Any advice, instruction, pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for your help.

As I indicated the browser is IE9. It works flawlessly with a cable.
I tried both Java and ActiveX; both work fine with a cable.
I do not use the dlink server either. I http to the hard-coded ip address on the local lan.

On further investigation: I can access the camera fine from outside the LAN (ie from the internet, thru the browser, via the router/firewall with port redirection). So now I can use the camera, I just need to access it from outside the lan (I can live with that); I don't understand why I can't access it from inside the lan. It must be some routing issue inside the lan or in the router. I'm no expert. If someone has a suggestion I wouldn't mind to learn about these routing issues.

Thanks all.

JamesGH

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »

I had the same problem as the OP, camera would still send pics for when it sensed motion, green light was on, but it would not stream live - on my Chrome, Firefox, Safari or iPhone app, inside or outside the same wireless network, and I could not wirelessly access the camera settings. When I disconnected and reconnected the power supply, the problem would be solved for another 5 minutes.  This problem existed both before and after I updated the firmware.

In my case, I cannot imagine the issue was distance from the router, as the camera and router were fewer than 5 feet apart, with no obstructions.

I suppose I could try all the work around measures mentioned in this thread, but I bought the D-Link product because it was user friendly. When the ease of use disappeared, so did the value of the product.

Camera on its way back to Amazon.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »

My DCS-930L is going back to D-Link for replacement (RMA) after months of frustration.
After getting a DCS-932L, I could make comparisons between the two units of frame rates, ping times, etc ... determined that the DCS-930L is sensitive to warm temperatures.
(Note, there is now a specific DCS-930L forum)