• March 28, 2024, 08:23:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Game server help  (Read 9837 times)

Jason08

Game server help
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »

Hi, sorry that I'm posting about my router (DI-524), but it is Wireless G.

I'm trying to host a game server for Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2. I have forwarded the ports, but the server won't display on the public list past my LAN. I can see it on the list on another PC in my network, but no one outside of my network can see it.   :( he only way someone outside of my network can join is by entering my public IP address to connect. I have attacted a screenshot of my firewall page.
http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=firewallruleslist101308rx9.png

So the bottom line is, right now I'm not able to host past my LAN. Can someone help me with what to do?
Thanks, Jason

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
Re: Game server help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:28:59 PM »

Hey Jason,

This caught my eye:
The only way someone outside of my network can join is by entering my public IP address to connect.
That is completely normal. The only way anyone could connect to your game server is by typing in your public IP address (unless he/she is on the same network of course). Forgive me if this sounds obvious but I've played many games before (Not this particular one though sorry) and the list that you're seeing is only a LAN list. That would explain why only computers on your network can see the server.

Please explain further if I'm mistaken. Maybe someone who's more familiar with this game can reply.

Best of Luck,

Russell
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:31:14 PM by RussellM »

Jason08

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »

Thanks for helping.
No, actually, the public game server list in the game is for all the Internet servers, and the IP address that's displayed is the host's public IP address. But what was weird, is that when my server displayed, it displayed a LAN address, not the external. So it was a LAN IP address displaying among many other public IPs.
Somone loaned me the DIR-655 for a few days, and I got the server to work with it, but just selecting the application from the menu, and it opened the ports. I was thinking maybe with the DI-524 I need to modify the source and destination rules for the ports, even though that's the way the FAQ said to put it. Here is what I was thinking.
1. Currently, what the FAQ says, source at WAN, destination LAN IP.
2. What I'm thinking possibly, source LAN IP, destination as my WAN IP.
3. 2nd option, source as LAN IP, destination as WAN.
4. 3rd option, source as WAN IP, destination as WAN.

Do you think any of those could get my server past the network also with the incoming ports open?

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »

Firstly, visit this site and use the port tool to verify the ports are actually being opened:
http://www.dyndns.com/support/tools/openport.html

Looking at the screenshot you have set the static IP on the host computer to 192.168.0.94 correct?

This is from gamespy.com. The following ports need to be forwarded:

* 6667 (IRC)
* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)
* 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
* 28900 (Master Server List Request)
* 29900 (GP Connection Manager)
* 29901 (GP Search Manager)
* 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
* 6515 (Dplay UDP)
* 6500 (Query Port)

Your screenshot appears to have them all covered. Try setting up a DMZ server on the network. Click the DMZ button to the left and point it to the 192.168.0.94 computer. Power cycle the router and check to see if the game is being displayed.

Best of Luck,

Russell

Jason08

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »

It says the port is open.
Yes, 192.168.0.94 is the host PC.
Actually, those ports are somewhat different from the ports for hosting; those are for GameSpy Arcade (another program for joining public games.)
TCP 80, 8511, 28900
UDP 1230, 8512, 27900, 61220-61230

I have tried DMZ in the past before and still not displaying on the public list outside of my network.

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:10:52 PM »

It says the port is open.
Yes, 192.168.0.94 is the host PC.
Actually, those ports are somewhat different from the ports for hosting; those are for GameSpy Arcade (another program for joining public games.)
TCP 80, 8511, 28900
UDP 1230, 8512, 27900, 61220-61230

I have tried DMZ in the past before and still not displaying on the public list outside of my network.

That would be my fault. I thought for sure those were for the game.
Anyway, we verified the ports are opened using that tool. That means the router is setup properly. If you tested every single port that is required than you should be good to go. I can't explain why it's not showing up on a different network. You may want to consult the game manufacturer's forum to see if they have any fixes.

Another thing it might be, different games have the ability to create a LAN server and an Internet server. Usually there will be different executables you could open if you wanted an internet server for example. You can connect your computer directly to your modem and then start up the game server. If your friend can see it, there might be something we're overlooking. However, if it can't be seen, that individual may have a firewall blocking HIM from seeing YOU, or something related to the way the game server operates (It may connect to a centralized server for the game, etc).

Sorry if this doesn't help you, but the good news is the router is properly allowing the ports to be accessed by the internet.

Best of Luck mate,

Russell

Jason08

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »

Actually, it does work directly to the modem, but not quite with the router.
I don't think I mentioned it before, but last week someone loaned me the DIR-655, and the server works with it, though. Do you think it's possible that I can't host past my network even with DMZ because the router could be too low horsepower? I saw on a website it is low horespower.

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »

You mentioned it worked on the DIR-655;

Upon looking in the configuration page of that router, there are some ports that were opened that aren't on your screenshot you provided. The DIR-655 opens the following ports for Need for Speed: Hor Pursuit 2;

TCP:8511, 28900
UDP:1230,8512,27900,61200-61230
(Your router only has 61220-61230)

Your screenshot has everything set correctly accept the ones I bolded. So change that inside your router and test it out.

-Russell

Jason08

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »

I know, I do remember seeing those extra 20 ports in that router, but I know that's not the problem, because it's not in the readme and with DMZ (opening all ports) it hasn't displayed on the public list to users outside of my LAN. I'm guessing then this wireless G doesn't have the power, unlike the wireless N, to bring the server outside of my LAN, even though one of the permant, default firewall rules allows connections from the LAN to WAN.