• April 23, 2024, 02:12:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Young Lady In Need Of Some Help DGL-4500  (Read 21616 times)

LaneLander

• Level 2 Member
Re: Young Lady In Need Of Some Help DGL-4500
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 04:31:48 AM »

Nichole,

You seem like an intelligent woman.  So this would be my 2 cents and you can take it or leave it. 

I would start with only one router (I assume all are on) Plug it in and try to have this one unit run and be stable.  All the settings they are all telling you to set are great and if all was functional I would say go ahead.  I understand you may think it is a setting or a heat problem.  I will tell you that I got mine about 2 weeks ago and after all the troubles I had I have not touched it.  But to get it to work I set for bare minimum settings, then added my configuration to it.  My router is vertical and is sitting right next to a heat duct (talk about heat) but the thing is my router is not what I would call warm at all  (compaired to my old netgear).  If your router is getting warm or hot to the touch then I would start to think it is heat reset.  Anyway, once you get one running then you can create a backup of the configuration and copy it to the other routers.

Other notes are as follows

----------------- THIS ARE MY SETTINGS.

Wireless 5GHZ .802.11 N Only
enable auto channel scan- on
Transmission Rate- Best Automatic
Channel Width-Auto 20/40 MHZ

WPA PERSONAL
WPA2 ONLY
AES

Enabled SPI-OFF
NAT - UDP & TCP - Both are EndPoint Independent
Enabled Anti Spoof Checking- ON

Enabled WAN pin respond - ON
Enabled Multicast stream - ON

Running only 1 laptop at the store to stream media over PS3 & or XBOX 360.  and i have the both Consoles Hard Wire with Cable.

As for minimal settings I would disable wireless all together as you stated your not using it.  Again start there and see if you can get it stable.

Other questions I have are,

• If your running these in your house why would you need 5?
  • Are you planning on having the consoles set up wirelessly?
  • What type of interenet connection are you using at home?
  • Have you tried to return the router for a replacement (even if all 5 appear having the same issue?
  • Would you accept remote assistance if offered

Nicole Smith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 06:33:47 AM »

Hi Lane Lander,

Sorry but you must have not read the thread since the first post. i have 5 units of the DGL-4500 , 1 in my house, 1 in my business, 1 at my dad's house, 1 at my vacation house, & 1 in my other store.

i have tried reloading bin 1.15 and also doing a factory reset, also ive tried loading my saved settings. and it hasn't resolved my problem. the router, doesn't get really hot, but only warm, but i think on the inside, maybe the chips get hot or something. so that's why it reboots  itself. 

1-i have 5 because i use 1 in each of the places i just mentioned, plus i have customer who like the router as soon as they look at it. so i get paid money,

2-sometimes i connect the consoles wireless or something i just connect it to the lan, it all depends on what my costumer want to see in the store. so they do what ever they want.

3-at home and in my office i have verizon fios  54MBS download 24 MBS upload

4-ive tested other router, besides the 5 that i have and they are all acting weird with bin 1.15

5-it depends if im online yes

this is really getting disappointing, because when you call D-LINK customer service , they really have no experience.  if people can downgrade to bin 1.02 things would be better. or if they can make a bin, that is stable.

Nichole,

You seem like an intelligent woman.  So this would be my 2 cents and you can take it or leave it. 

I would start with only one router (I assume all are on) Plug it in and try to have this one unit run and be stable.  All the settings they are all telling you to set are great and if all was functional I would say go ahead.  I understand you may think it is a setting or a heat problem.  I will tell you that I got mine about 2 weeks ago and after all the troubles I had I have not touched it.  But to get it to work I set for bare minimum settings, then added my configuration to it.  My router is vertical and is sitting right next to a heat duct (talk about heat) but the thing is my router is not what I would call warm at all  (compaired to my old netgear).  If your router is getting warm or hot to the touch then I would start to think it is heat reset.  Anyway, once you get one running then you can create a backup of the configuration and copy it to the other routers.

Other notes are as follows

As for minimal settings I would disable wireless all together as you stated your not using it.  Again start there and see if you can get it stable.

Other questions I have are,

• If your running these in your house why would you need 5?
  • Are you planning on having the consoles set up wirelessly?
  • What type of interenet connection are you using at home?
  • Have you tried to return the router for a replacement (even if all 5 appear having the same issue?
  • Would you accept remote assistance if offered

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »

Lycan or Ru-fi-oh:

I know that it's not a possibility to downgrade from 1.15 via the Tools > Firmware section of the web-based configuration.

If you crash reset the router - so you can only access the Firmware Upgrade Page, can you load an older version from there? If not, why?

This really goes to show that the D-Link Tech Support is not all on the same page and that they are not really aware of what is going on with the different D-Link products.

gshaghoian,

The DGL-4500 does not have Crash Reset Functionality built in. All you can do is to do a Hard Reset as me and a few others have outlined.

If you want the DGL-4500 to have Crash Reset capabilities, then I suggest that you contact Ubicom and request that they include this capability in the next firmware release.

As for loading an older firmware version from the firmware page, Yes, this can be done as I have done this and others have too. You just can't go back to v1.02 as that version is susceptable to the DNS Vulnerability Exploit Flaw which was fix in later firmware releases.

The thread linked below explains what needs to be done for a successful firmware update including dealing with a few other problems which may be encountered.

Firmware 1.13 will not upgrade <<--- Firmware Upgrade (downgrade) proceedures for DGL-4500

- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

LaneLander

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »

Nicole,

Just let me know your schedule.  I have sent you a PM.

Lane

IG88

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 10:32:02 AM »

Hey Nicole,

You are not alone on this.  Mine does the exact same thing.  I can do the factory reset, this will allow me to do setups and make changes.  After 15/30 min of running, it will do the following:

1. Under load, using PPTP or IPSEC connections, it will reboot it's self.
2. If you are on-line gaming, it will begin to lag, then lockup and reboot it's self.
3. The web interface will lock up, by that I mean, you can log into it and view things like logs, or status, but if you try and make any configuration change it will hang, and reboot and not accept the change.
4. The time will reset back to 2004, and can not be fixed because of point 3.

They may have fixed the port forwarding issue, but there are still many issues that have not been addressed.  Unfortunately this very expensive gaming router is really only capable of allowing you to connect to your ISP and surf the web, anything beyond that it will begin to lag and crash/reboot.

This router is in serous need of some development work to fix it to be usable in any situation other than surfing web pages.

Dlink tech support does not have the knowledge to help you, or any of us, which is very apparent if you read other threads in this forum.  They will suggest fixes that the router is not even capable of, or have you make changes that don't even pertain to the issues you are having, we are alone... :(

The only tech I have seen on the board that cares, and seems to know anything is Lycan, and I'm hoping that Lycan is reading this thread, and maybe passing these issues on to a development team for review.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:38:39 AM by IG88 »

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 11:38:27 AM »

The biggest problem is D-Link is reliant on Ubicom for the Firmware.

The the best possible thing might be to bring some of the Ubicom developement staff on board so they can see what sort of problems we are having and maybe fix them.

If maybe a third party firmware could be developed for the DGL-4500, then maybe we would stand a better chance of getting a working firmware.

Azuse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »

As much as a [exploitive deleted] to agree with the above it's probably true, it's also not the only d-link router that likes to dc/reset every few hours but it's an inherent issue in the firmware which, for all it's pros, is littered with bugs. Browse around these boards and you can count on one hand the number of problems that are hardware related.

Seems almost as if the sole purpose of these forums is to exist is to deal with firmware bugs, glitches and problems relating to poor documentation within the firmware. Pity, there hardware side is actually very good  :-\

Edit: also why is this forum over-filtering so much that it's deleting verbs we teach to five year olds in first year at primary school  ::)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:47:56 PM by Azuse »

Nicole Smith

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »

Yes it looks like there are thousands of people calling because of this problem, not that many in the forums, because not everyone knows about forums, posting, and things like that. people usually just buy a router and hook it up, and that's it. if they have problems they call costumer service, because not that many are aware of the Forums.  I myself came to the forums because when i called costumer service, i got no help at all. i feel really sad because i really like the looks, of the router, and i have gotten a couple of clients and costumer, because stylish looks of the router, but after i upgraded from 1.02 to 1.15 everything went from good to bad.  hopefully Ubicom & D-link will solve this problem with a real stable firmware upgrade.

thank you

Hey Nicole,

You are not alone on this.  Mine does the exact same thing.  I can do the factory reset, this will allow me to do setups and make changes.  After 15/30 min of running, it will do the following:

1. Under load, using PPTP or IPSEC connections, it will reboot it's self.
2. If you are on-line gaming, it will begin to lag, then lockup and reboot it's self.
3. The web interface will lock up, by that I mean, you can log into it and view things like logs, or status, but if you try and make any configuration change it will hang, and reboot and not accept the change.
4. The time will reset back to 2004, and can not be fixed because of point 3.

They may have fixed the port forwarding issue, but there are still many issues that have not been addressed.  Unfortunately this very expensive gaming router is really only capable of allowing you to connect to your ISP and surf the web, anything beyond that it will begin to lag and crash/reboot.

This router is in serous need of some development work to fix it to be usable in any situation other than surfing web pages.

Dlink tech support does not have the knowledge to help you, or any of us, which is very apparent if you read other threads in this forum.  They will suggest fixes that the router is not even capable of, or have you make changes that don't even pertain to the issues you are having, we are alone... :(

The only tech I have seen on the board that cares, and seems to know anything is Lycan, and I'm hoping that Lycan is reading this thread, and maybe passing these issues on to a development team for review.

boomer400

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 11:34:29 PM »

Well, I guess this is a informal plug for not jumping on firmware upgrades that are really fresh. I'm still running on 1.13 and don't have much in the way of problems. 3 days + up and running and the only real problem for me is whether or not, the 4500 supports IPv6. Nothing in the manual about it; so I suppose I have to start another thread?

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 06:57:54 AM »

IPv6 is currently done through IPv4 tunneling which is handled by your system, not the router. Unless of course you happen to be connected to a router or directly to a broadband modem that provides IPv6 DNS support.

When D-Link starts providing IPv6 DNS support, then in the section where you currently enter the DNS, you will start seeing two sections. One section will be for IPv4 DNS entries and the other will be for IPv6 DNS entries.

As it is, I don't even know if the DGL-4500 will be capable of IPv6 DNS support via a firmware update or if the hardware itself is not yet compatible.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »

Well, I guess this is a informal plug for not jumping on firmware upgrades that are really fresh. I'm still running on 1.13 and don't have much in the way of problems. 3 days + up and running and the only real problem for me is whether or not, the 4500 supports IPv6. Nothing in the manual about it; so I suppose I have to start another thread?

I really don't get what you mean. Are you saying that you have a ps3 in a setup similar to those in this post and you don't have any problems because you're using 1.13?

Amazing Iceman

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 07:26:08 AM »

I recall having a similar problem a while ago, probably with that firmware. I was able to solve the problem by making sure the router was kept cool. I had to raise it by adding taller feet to it, and place it in a cooler flat surface, away from any other sources or concentration of heat.
After I did that, I had no more freeze ups.
A while later, a new firmware upgrade came up, and then I when moved to a new home I didn't have the raised feet  on it and still had no more freeze ups.

Think of this: This had to be an issue related to overheating, most likely caused by a flaw in the firmware. Once you upgraded, the problem stopped, right? If it was not related to overheating, you wouldn't have to wait 30 minutes to use it again. A power cycle should have been enough.

Anyways, I would like to hear how you fixed this issue.

Pages: 1 [2]